IVer Johnson Revolver Question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by pac, May 11, 2008.

1. pac

pac New Member

hey guys I have found in my grandads garage an Iver Johnson top break revolver, hammer, 5 shot 38?? cal, writing on top of barrel rib is two lines,
    Iver johnson gun and cycle works fitchburg mass usa - 1st line
    patd apr6,86feb15,87may 10,87,dec26 93 pat pending - 2nd line
    serial # on butt 12978

sems to be chrome plated finish flaking off in spots and some rust

Handle has brown plastic? inset with a liitle owl face at top

any clue as to how old and worth?
  2. pac

pac New Member

Also have a second Iver Johnson revolver
    Johnson Arms 09 stamped on top rib of barrel
    partial serial number on left side of barrel ends in 8 rest is gone with the finish i guess
    top break five shot with hammer

If you break open gun there is the letters"ND" stamped on themetal body of gun above trigger?? sorry if my terminology is off!

other wise plastic handle i guess nickel or chrome finish
    again just curious about age? thanks
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

pac,
    the serial number on the bottom of the butt was only used between 1894 and 1896, on the first model small frame 32 caliber safety automatic revolver and some very early second model large frame 38 caliber models. the 1893 patent date was actually used up until 1898 so that is not much help. pictures would be helpful. all iver johnson's arms & cycle works first and second model safety automatic revolvers were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and are NOT safe with modern ammo.

i am also going to need pictures of the second iver johnson revolver because the marking just do not make sense to me.
    bill