1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver Johnson Revolver Questions

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wcook

wcook New Member

After reading all the messages in this thread I think the pictured Iver Johnson revolver, that was my Grandmother's, is the following. It is a Second Model since it has the safety trigger. Produced in 1905 since it has an "O" proceeding the serial number (33796). The patent dates are JUNE 16.96 and AUG 25.98 (the 98 could be 96, hard to tell).

It has high wear so I suspect it may have been used with smokeless ammo at some point. At any rate it is going into a shadow box as a family keepsake.

Please correct any of the above. Are there any images of sales or catalog information used when the weapon was produced and sold? Any idea of the original cost (approx.)? What would have been common cartridge designation when the revolver originally sold.

This is a great thread! Thanks in advance for all I have learned from just reading the thread.

Bill Ivers Johnson 2nd Revolver1.jpg
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

you did a good job of figuring this revolver out, but with only the two patent dates this one was most likely manufactured in 1906 or very late 1905. i do not have a 1906 catalog but i do have a 1905. here are three pages from that catalog that i believe will answer most of your questions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry they are so large
    bill
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  3. wcook

wcook New Member

Bill,

Perfect!!! The catalog pages will make the presentation much more interesting and thanks for the additional information of the manufacture date based on the patent dates. Your wealth of knowledge of Iver Johnson Arms is immense.

I suspect this pistol went with my grandmother in the wilds of the territory of New Mexico circa 1910 where my grandfather was working on building Elephant Butte Dam on the Rio Grande River. It probably dispatched more than a few rattle snakes.

Thanks again,

Bill
  4. DanNala

DanNala New Member

What a site!

Granddad passed away back in the mid 70s and passed down several guns. One being an Iver Johnson 5 Shot Hammerless Revolver. On top of the rib it states: Iver Johnsons Arms & Cycle Works, Fitchburg, Mass, USA. Serial # is "J" 41147 with a single flat spring inside the grips. Owl facing towards the barrel.

I'm assuming this is a second addition but would like to if I can get a bit more info.

I am thinking this pistol is a 38 but noticed just a few post back there is an ad for a 5 shot 32 cal. Can the Serial # help with that info also?

Thanks ahead of time.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

you are correct this is a second model. the correct model name is large frame second model 38 caliber safety automatic hammerless revolver. the large frame 38 caliber second models were manufactured between 1896 and 1908. the "J" letter code was used in on the hammerless second models in 1903,1904 & 1905. this revolver serial number J41147 was manufacture in 1904. there were approx. 33,000 manufactured that year. all safety automatic revolvers were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and should not be fired with modern smokeless ammo.
    bill
  6. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse New Member

Re: I. J. A. & C Wrks. Revolver Age?

Hi - I'm looking for help trying to pin down the date of a Iver Johnson revolver. It is a Target Sealed 8 model by I. J. A. & C Wrks. This revolver was given to my father when he was around 10 years old or so by his older brother and according to my father "it was old when it was given to me."

I know there is no real value in this revolver, but dad has put 1000s of round through it was a boy and we'd both like to know when it was made.

Any help or suggestions you could give me would be appreciated.

The serial # is N404XX

Thanks again.
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this target sealed 8 serial number N404??? was manufactured about 1952 or 1953. the target sealed 8 model 68 was introduced in 1932 and was replaced in march of 1955 by the model 55.

bill
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  9. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse New Member

Thank you Bill! I appreciate your help so very much.
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

This very informative thread is now locked. Please start a new thread for each request to Mr. Goforth so other readers may gain knowledge about their firearms. :)