iver johnson revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dc571, Sep 16, 2012.

1. dc571

dc571 New Member

I was just given a iver johnson revolver, I believe 32 cal, serial number 3227L under grip. what can you tell me about it, how old, ammunition to use, can it be blued etc.
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF.

If it's the hammerless type and the L is a prefix (L3227) it has to be a black powder .32 S&W caliber made in 1904, the only year an L prefix was used on any model.

I suggest it be retired as use of current smokeless powder ammo will loosen the lockup and possibly do greater damage.

It can be reblued, but cost of a professional job will exceed value of the gun.
  3. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I also have an Iver-Johnson .32 hammerless, but its serial number starts with an "H".
    It's a tiny-thing in comparison with my other pistols.

Run the search function; I know there are other threads in here that have discussed the weapon.
  4. dc571

dc571 New Member

The letter L is after the #3227 - does this make a difference?
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It should. Are you sure it's not a poorly stamped number?

Please list other markings, and where located, and post a photo if possible.
  6. dc571

dc571 New Member

I have tried to look at markings with magnifying glass and under the trigger guard it looks to me 3227 L or 1 and under the handle grip I 3227 L or 1. It seems to be worn. It is hammerless and 5 shot and cylender is locked and does not spin. I can see Pat twice under the grip on outside twice and then it is worn and can see no more. On the barrel top ver johnsons arms and cycle works and even this is worn to a degree, fitchburg, mass usa. I am sort of a novice to this, is there anything I should look for. I am on vacation and when I return will take to gunsmith but anything else you can tell me would be appreciated.
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

If the sn is I32271, you have a third model made in 1926.

It should have a plain trigger without the little safety lever in trigger that the early models had.

But at this point, clear photos are needed to confirm what you have.
  8. dc571

dc571 New Member

Thank you for your help
  9. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson New Member

I have a Iver Johnson revolver. I think this my be one of the three 55-SA modle 32's that was mentioned earlier in B.Goforth's comments made about the 38 modle S&W 55-S. No markings except Iver Johnson's Arms, Fitchburg MA, USA on one side and ser #B32926 on the other side. The barrel has a strap on top of the barrel. I really would like to know something about this gun. I have pictures.
  10. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Welcome to the forum. A few images would be of considerable help regarding your M 55. It cuts down on the guesswork.
  11. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson New Member

I have a Iver Johnson revolver. I think this may be one of the only three 55-SA modle 32's that was made and mentioned earlier in B.Goforth's comments made about the 38 modle S&W 55-S. No markings except Iver Johnson's Arms, Fitchburg MA, USA on one side and ser #B32926 on the other side. No cal. markings or pat. #'s The barrel has a ribbed strap on top. I really would like to know something about this gun. I have pictures[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

12. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

I can't find a thread where Bill commented about three 55-SA .32s; can you post the link?

I suspect he may have said he'd only seen three, not that only three were made.

Your photos match what his book classifies as the "MODEL 55-SA VARIATION 2, 1974-1978/79"

What's odd are the holes in backstrap, possibly for a detachable shoulder stock?
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  13. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson New Member

This was easier than trying to find it on the internet. Hope you can read it. The one screw is for hammer tension the other is a extra locking pin for the cylinder pin. The adjustable sight is only on the 38
    Iver Johnson info.png
  14. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson New Member

15. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Thanks Larry, the adjustment screws are obvious in those photos.

And I believe you are misinterpreting his last two sentences:

He was referring to the "Double Action Swing Out Cylinder Model 1976" discussed in the book,
    quote: "For one reason or another, this series never got off the ground"
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012