Iver Johnson revolver

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by tcoz, Aug 10, 2009.

1. tcoz

tcoz New Member

Good evening. Yesterday my father showed me a few revolvers that came from his father. From the research I did online I found one to be a Iver Johnson Model 1900. I'm sure it's a .22 cal. because of the size and the fact that it has a 7 round cyl. Double action model 1900 is stamped on the top. The number under the left side of the hand grip is 269. My father told me that it had belonged to his grandmother who I believe passed away in the early 1940's apperantly she had used it to shoot a would be intruder in the leg! Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

small frame model 1900 22 rimfire caliber serial number 269 (no letter code on left side of frame) was manufactured in 1900 (the first year of production for the model 1900). there were approx. 14,000 of this model and caliber manufactured that year. this model 1900 revolver was manufactured before iver johnson made the switch to smokeless powder so it should not be fired with modern smokeless ammo.

I.J. MODEL 1900------------------------------------1900-1941
    Does not have Hammer the Hammer action, solid frame, double action, pull pin cylinder release. Nickel finish standard with blue optional, all barrels are octagon shaped. Offered in three frame sizes and four calibers, grip panels are hard rubber with Owls head logo; Barrel length; small frame 2 ¼ inches, medium & large frame 2 ½ inches, other length barrels were offered at extra charge; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity; medium frame .32 rimfire & centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight with standard barrel length: small frame 11 ounces, medium frame 12 ounces, large frame 18 ounces; Height: small frame 3 3/8 inches, medium frame 3 ½ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 inches, medium frame 4 ¼ inches, large frame 4 7/8 inches; Overall length with standard barrel length: small frame 6 inches, medium frame 6 1/8 inches, large frame 6 ¾ inches. Note: large frame model not introduced until 1903. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION.
    VALUE: 100%=$135 60%=$85

bill
  3. tcoz

tcoz New Member

Thank you for the information. I will pass it on to my father to keep with the revolver. It's very interesting to know that we have a family heirloom revolver that is over 100 years old ! Thanks again.