1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver & Johnson Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Lasersighted, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Lasersighted

Lasersighted New Member

I have an old Iver and Johnson top break revolver. Its a .32 five-round revolver with an external hammer and an automatic casing ejector that operates when you break open the revolver. The cylinder generally locks (sometimes it will not until the hammer is half cocked).

On the top of the barrel is "Iver & Johnson Arms & Cycle Works" with "Fittsburgh, Mass, USA" below it. The barrel is around 4" long. On the butt of the handle is "June 16 96 Aug 25 95?" with 16.04 Pat. Pending below that. There are two serial numbers. One on the bottom of the trigger guard (25315) and another on the left side of the grip strap covered by the grips (A25315).

I believe that the revolver is a Model III and doesn't have much value, but I would like more information as it has a great deal of sentimental value.
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Morning Lasersighted, I'm sure Mr. goforth can fix you up on all info on your gun when he reads the post...he is the man when it comes to Iver Johnson Arms...walking book of knowledge when it comes to this particular issue, not that he isnt on others, just very well up to date on this particular category.
    Zane
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is an early third model small frame 32 S&W caliber safety automatic hammer revolver. serial number A25315 was manufactured in 1910, there were 24,500 of this model manufactured that year.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)--------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch with Hammer the Hammer action. This model redesigned to be strong enough for smokeless powder. All coil springs, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, optional oversize grips of hard rubber or wood were offered. Two frame sizes, four calibers, Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel .32 Special 19 ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ inches; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$115

bill
  4. Lasersighted

Lasersighted New Member

b.goforth,
    Thanks very much. You solved a bit of a mystery in my family tree with your information.
  5. johnlee1933

johnlee1933 New Member

I read Mr. Goforth's comments with interest. Thanks. I have a .38 with a 3 1/4" barrel I/J. As stated it weighs 18 1/4 Oz . The serial # is 10494

Can anyone give me an idea of the manufacture date?
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

just not enough information, please give me the serial number found on the left side of the grip frame under the grips and the markings and where they are found.

bill
  7. johnlee1933

johnlee1933 New Member

All that is stamped on the left side of the grip post is

H 10494

On the right side about 1/4" to the left of the grip locator pin is a " 1 "
    On the right side about 1/8" below and to the left of the locator pin is a " 7 "

That's all I can find. Any place else I should look?

Thanks again

jOHn
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

john,
    it appears you have a large frame safety automatic hammer revolver third model. serial number H 10494 was made in 1918. there were 11,400 made that year. value has been quoted above.
    bill
  9. johnlee1933

johnlee1933 New Member

Thanks Bill. Much appreciated jOHn
  10. fun2luvlv

fun2luvlv New Member

I have a pearl handle chrome plated (shiny silver) 5 shot top break revolver that was my great great grandfathers. It has a serial number of 4485 on the handle.

on the barrel it says:
    Iver Johnson arms and cycle works, Fitchburg, Mass.U.S.A.
    PATD APR6 86 FEB15 87 DEC 25 93 PATS PENDING.

I've been looking through the forums but can't seem to positively identify this revolver. Can anyone help me.

Thanks
  11. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

The patent dates indicate you probably have an antique second model made ca. 1894-96, but there should also be patent date MAY 10 87. Remove the grips and look for the serial number on left grip frame, which may have a letter prefix. Also, what caliber, and is it a hammer or hammerless type?