1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver & Johnson Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BudDog, Oct 17, 2009.

1. BudDog

BudDog New Member

Hope someone can help me learn everything I can about this piece. I received this from my late Father. The piece seems to be in good working order.

Barrel says,
    [X]IVER JOHNSONS ARMS % CYCLE WORKS[X]
    -<FITCHBURG MASS. U.S.A.>-

3 1/4 inch barrel.
    Hammer Action: Leaf Spring
    Double top post barrel latch
    5 Hole
    Caliber: 32? - 38?
    Under Grip: T57178
    Trigger Guard: 57178
    Under Latch: 57178
    Butt: 1.JUNE16.96 AUG.25.96.
    PT.16.04.PATSPENDING

Thank you for your time,
    BudDog
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I love to read all these Iver Johnson questions. I love how they don't tell you what it is. You know 32 or 38 on the bbl. I just love that. You figure that would have been info you needed to know.:D:D:D:D Hang tight Bull Dog you will get an answer to your question. We have a great guy here that will tell you what you need to know. He might not be awake right now.

Welcome to the forum. We have many subforums you may be interested in. Snoop around.
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

when the correct information is given it is easy to identify. iver johnson did not starting marking the calibers on their revolvers until after the war, nor did they mark the model until 1930's. a lot of time you are just guessing when you try to identify by saying what your think is is. but this one all the information is there. the patent dates the serial number found under the left grips every thing i need to tell what it is.

it is a second model large frame 38 S&W caliber safety automatic hammer revolver. serial number T 57178 was manufactured in 1908 (there were approx 50,000 manufactured that year). it was also the last year of production for the second model.

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, nickel finish standard, blue optional, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Hammer the Hammer action, two frame sizes, and three calibers. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ounces, .32 centerfire 12 ¼ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17¼ ounces; Frame height: small frame 3 ¼ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/26 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Only difference between the first and second model is the barrel latch. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$135
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

thank you for such a good description of your revolver.
    bill
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  4. BudDog

BudDog New Member

Bill,
    Thank you so much for the concise information! Your post will be printed and will stay with the gun. More info then the owners manual I'll bet. One other question if I may....

These rounds were with this gun for at the least, 40 years. Is there anyway to confirm if these are black powder rounds? And if so would they be safe to test fire?

Stamped on round: REM-UMC 38 S&W

Thank you again for your time,
    BudDog

Attached Files:

5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

it is hard to say but they don't look like Blackpowder loads to me. most likely some early smokeless powder loads bought after you couldn't get blackpowder loads any more.
    bill
  6. BudDog

BudDog New Member

Bill,
    I was afraid of that. Guess the only way to shoot these things is to do your own reloading.

Thanks again for your time,
    BudDog