iver johnson rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mcmahan47, Sep 1, 2011.

1. mcmahan47

mcmahan47 New Member

i have recently aquired an iver johnson gun.

it has on side of gun a metal plate that says iver johnsons arms and cycle works
    fitchburg mass usa - champion

on the barrel it has - 44cal barrell and log for(?)

i want to know if it is a 44 cal and what brand of 44 or is it a 410 what kind of shells it would shoot. it is a breakover and has exposed hammer

the guy i got it from said it was a 410 shotgun but on barrel it says 44 cal.

the serial numbers are numbers no letters on backside of gun under the rear hand hold

any info would be helpful
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Here is an earlier thread with photos that probably match your gun?

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=85720

They were chambered for the obsolete .44 XL and .44-40 shotshells, but some have been bored out for 2-1/2" 410 shells. An all numeric serial number indicates made 1909-1919 period.
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

hrf beat me to it:D It is not a rifle and .44 caliber cartridges should not be fired through it. It is, as posted; a 44XL shotshell ( forerunner to the .410 ) and the chamber may have been bored out to accept the 2 1/2 inch 410 shell.