Iver Johnson S&W 38

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by daddyjones, Nov 24, 2009.

1. daddyjones

daddyjones New Member

Let me start by saying I have joined this site and find it very informative so far and will continue to surf the site. The info I am looking for is concerning an Iver Johnson 38 I recently found and what year it was manufactured and what it might be worth The barrel length is 3.25" and the serial # is 71898 the Pat date is June 16 95 and Aug 25 58 the best i can see. If anyone has any info it will be greatly appreciated. daddyjones
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

these two patent dates (6-16=96 & 8-25-96) were only used on the safety automatic revolver between 1905 and 1906. these are not the two dates you gave but if you look closely you will see they are the correct dates.

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, nickel finish standard, blue optional, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Hammer the Hammer action, two frame sizes, and three calibers. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ounces, .32 centerfire 12 ¼ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17¼ ounces; Frame height: small frame 3 ¼ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/26 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Only difference between the first and second model is the barrel latch. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$135
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

it is important to remember that this revolver was manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and is not safe with modern ammo.
    bill
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. daddyjones

daddyjones New Member

Bill, thank you so much for your reply, although I don't intend to fire the pistol it is great to have a forum like this for advice and info. the 38 will look good displayed next to my Colt Navys. Thanks again, Ronnie
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Welcome daddy bunch of good people here you will like it