iver johnson safety hammer .38 serial search please.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by eddie powell, Oct 3, 2010.

1. eddie powell

eddie powell New Member

PLease help me find out how old my Iver Johnson safety hammer 38 is. THe serial numer is on the top frame on the under side. Cylinder must be removed to view it. The number is C 8126. It is almost new in appearance with 99% nickle finish, and no wear on the working parts. I intend to shoot it but need to know if I should load with black powder. I am a cowboy shooter, and love this new purchase. Please help me out. Thanks...........eddie powell
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the letter code on iver johnson's arms & cycle works safety automatic revolver are usually found on the left side of the grip frame under the grips. Not on the bottom of the top strap (that is where H&R put some early letter codes).

anyway a more complete description of your revolver is needed. what are the top of the barrel markings and are there any marking on the left side of the barrel or the bottom of the butt. the C letter code was used on several different occasions by both iver johnson and H&R.

bill
  3. eddie powell

eddie powell New Member

Bill......thanks for your reply. I took the grips off and the same letter code and number are on the left panel. The top of the barrel is iver johnson arms and cycle works fitchburg mass, usa.

The patent dates on the bottom of the grip frame says.........pat.june 16, 96aug 15, 96 sept 16, 04 pats pending.

I am beginning to think it is a black powder gun...............right???
  4. eddie powell

eddie powell New Member

IVER JOHNSON 38 S&W serial request.

Dear Sirs..............I am still looking for an answer to my request of OCT.4 about my Iver Johnson 38 S&W revolver. The barrel markings are..
    IVER JOHNSON ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITCHBURG MASS USA.
    The serial number on the left grip panel is C 8124 . It also has 3 patent dates on the bottom of the grip frame ......with the last one being SEPT.6, 04. THe serial number is also on the upper frame in front of the breaking lug.

This little revolver is PRISTENE in condition, and I would like to make it my "CARRY GUN". If it is black powder, so be it. I am a black ,powder compeitive shooter, and can load the 38 S&W cases with 7 -8 grains of GOEX 3F powder, and a 158 grain round nose lead bullet. That load will seat the bullet firmly on the powder charge.

I would appreciate someones knowledge about this little pistol. I believe it to be around 1909 production. I would appreciate an experts opinion whether it is black powder.........thanks..........eddie powell
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

eddie,
    this three patent dates were used between 1907 and 1911. during this time the third model was introduced starting again at C 1. so this revolver was made in late 1909 (C 1 to C 8900) made that year. being so early it should be looked at by a qualified person. the things that most need checking is the timing, is there any play in the cylinder with the trigger back and hammer down (in the fired position).
    bill
  6. FuzzyBUMagnet

FuzzyBUMagnet New Member

Bill,

I have a Third Model .32 Safety Hammer with the serial number H640XX.

I'm very curious as to the year of manufacture. Please let me know if you can help me here. Thanks!

~Dan
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this third model was made in 1924, H62501 to H65800 made that year. it should be a large frame 6 shot 32 S&W Long caliber.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)------------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; Double top post barrel latch, with Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish standard blue optional. Two frame sizes, four calibers, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, two piece oversize hard rubber and one piece wood grips optional. Redesigned for smokeless powder. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 12 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, large frame .32 Special with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$260 60%=$125
    bill
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  8. FuzzyBUMagnet

FuzzyBUMagnet New Member

Thanks! It belonged to a great uncle and was passed down to me through my grandfather. Very cool.
  9. FuzzyBUMagnet

FuzzyBUMagnet New Member

Actually, I made a typo. The first digit should be an 8 instead of a 6. H840XX. How does that change the age? Thanks!
  10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

it would make it 5 year later. 1929 H83001 to H84600 were made in 1929.
    bill
  11. Gripmaker

Gripmaker New Member

Posted this on another board but here goes again. I have an Iver Johnson 38 S&W with a serial # of Q67798. It has a flat hammerspring and is a Safety Hammer model. Patents on butt read June 16,96 and August 25,96. Can you tell me the year of manufacture and I presume it would be a black powder cartridge only firearm? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  12. Jim D.

Jim D. New Member

I have an Ivey Johnson 38 hammer revolver that I believe is a 2nd Edition model.
    It has:
    Double top post barrel latch
    flat leaf hammer spring
    two cross pins in lower frame
    Owl's head facing towards barrel
    No markings when grips are removed
    Top strap markings:
    Apr 6 86 Feb 15 87 May 10 87 Dec 26
    SN 10825 on bottom of grip & under top latch when cylinder is removed

Interested in approximate date of manufacture and where I can find black powder cartridges.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  13. hrf

hrf Active Member

Gripmaker, if you are still out there, sorry your query wasn't answered in January, but Bill G. passed away about the time you posted.

Your .38 was made in 1906 for black powder ammo.
  14. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum Jim.

With those patent dates and no serial number under the left grip, you have a 2nd model made in 1895.

I don't know of a source for black powder .38 S&W, but try an online search for "cowboy action ammunition"
  15. achalfant33

achalfant33 New Member

Hi there, I have the same revolver as Jim D but my serial number starts with a 396XX, would that mean it is a 2nd edition and made around the 1895 period as well? Thanks
  16. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, if you're sure there's no serial on grip frame under left grip plate with a letter prefix.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  17. Ldavid87

Ldavid87 New Member

Hello I have a iver Johnson 38 s&w saftey hammer and would like to kno when it was made the only numbers on it are 3421
  18. hrf

hrf Active Member