Iver Johnson Safety Hammer Automatic

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by smithynorth, Aug 7, 2012.

1. smithynorth

smithynorth New Member

Hello everyone, from a new member from Calgary, Canada!

I am looking for some assistance in obtaining a manufacture date for my IJ Safety hammer automatic. I believe it is a second model.

5 shot revolver, 38 S&W
    Top of barrel indicates "Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works Fitchburg Mass USA"
    double post latch
    bakelite handle with owls head facing towards cylinder
    leaf spring, not coil
    5 inch barrel
    Serial number, found underneath grip, is Q 78863

Am I also correct that this is a large frame model? Thanks so much!
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

Your large frame hammer model was made in 1906 for black powder ammunition.
  3. smithynorth

smithynorth New Member

Thank you so much for your quick response to my inquiry. It is very much appreciated!
  4. Sevysev

Sevysev New Member

Here are some pictures of the piece.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      152.1 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      125.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Sevysev

Sevysev New Member

Hello I am a new member as well to this fine site, the pictures above are of my IJ. can anyone help me with caliber, date or worth of this piece. can modern ammo be used, etc. Thanks you in advance for any and all information.
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I don't have my book handy, but from the images I can tell you that you have a 3rd Model Safety Hammer Automatic Revolver. As such, it was made for modern smokless powder ammo. It's either chambered for .38 S&W or .32 S&W cartridges.
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. J4742 is a small frame third model made in 1927 for smokeless .32 S&W ammo. It's in very nice shape and would probably sell in the $150 range.
  8. Sevysev

Sevysev New Member

thankyou for the information and quick responses. followup question, whould you recommend firing the weapon or just as a keep sake. I am curious to see if it fires. thanks again.
  9. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

If OK mechanically, it's safe with current .32 S&W (short) ammo. Do not fire .32 ACP/.32 Auto in it, which will also fit but generates too much pressure.