The Firearms Forum banner

Iver Johnson Saftey Hammer .38sw ID Help

793 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  warlocke 
#1 · (Edited)
I just aquired one of these from a friend of mine. From my research this is a model 2, with a 5 digit serial as follows 252**.

I have looked the gun top to bottom and under the grips for a letter prefix but none to be found, the only other place I found the SN was above the cylinder on the barrel(with cylinder removed).

Please see pictures, it is not in great shape but gunsmith said after its cleaned up it should be safe to shoot, cylinder locks up nice and tight, everything locks together well, etc... I will get it cleaned up this weekend though.
Pics are as follows and sorry if the size is to big.

Main question is what year was this made?
2nd question is what is the value in this condition? Grips are in great shape btw

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have by book handy so I can't give you the year of production. It's possible that the first digit of the serial number is a letter which looks like a number. The letter could also be lightly stamped as much as an inch away from the rest of the serial number.

As to shooting it. Standard factory loaded .38 S&W ammo will not blowup your revolver, but it will cause it to loosen up. Bending the latch screw is common. Iver Johnson made the model 2 for cartridges loaded with black powder. Surviving factory boxes have labels inside which caution against using smokeless powder ammo. If you want to shoot it, then you will have to load your own ammo using black powder.

The value is about $75 to $125 they do not seem to sell all that well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.