The Firearms Forum banner

Iver Johnson Sealed 8 - Information Needed

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  hrf 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I've read the guidelines and lurked a great bit, and hopefully I'm within bounds for the following post.

Right now I'm on a search for information and (hopefully) a collector that can help me find a firearm that I am looking for. I know trying to track down a firearm that is extremely specific can be exceptionally difficult, so I'm trying to use (drumroll) THE POWER OF THE INTERNET!

Searching for detailed information on Iver Johnson eventually led me here due to Mr. Goforth's numerous posts concerning the firearms. Sadly, I had noticed that Mr. Goforth had passed. My condolences to those that knew him.

So thie situation is this. Where I work, I'm known as the resident gun nut (*sigh*). Interestingly, a co-worker and friend of mine approached me with an intriguing quest to find a Iver Johnson Sealed Eight for his mid-90's grandfather. He had owned one as a young man, and had sold the gun at some point to afford others. Now in his twilight years, he says selling the gun is one of his regrets.

As the story goes, his grandfather had purchased one new somewhere between 1930 and 1933. From what he can recall, it was a model 68 with a round barrel, but said that he wasnt 100% sure of the barrel's shape. He also said that it had a plain brass blade front sight, and a simple groove cut into the rear. Only other details that he could recall were that it was blued with "plainish" wooden grips.

Its not much of a description, I know. The point of all this is that the co-worker is looking to find one in NRA Excellent or better condition for his grandfather to give to him. I was told that price doesn't matter; he is trying to find one as mint as possible to give his grandfather the feel of having his old gun back.

Any help that can be rendered is much appreciated. I know it's a lot to ask from a community I just joined, but any and all help is appreciated.

I'll be checking the thread frequently. Any other information/details that are needed, let me know, and i can get them.

Thanks all!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the fast reply.

One detail I did forget to mention is that I didn't know if the sealed eight would have had the round barrel that early on, or if it would have been octagon.

Also, from the gunsamerica auction you posted, I'm going to estimate that my buddy would pass on it. Finish is far too rough, and I'm not seeing the goofy rod that came with the gun to extract empties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.