Iver Johnson Sealed 8 Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by GeneWilsoon, Nov 12, 2012.

1. GeneWilsoon

GeneWilsoon New Member

Hi guys, great site!

I have this pistol of my father-in-laws and am looking for more information.

The top of the barrel has these markings:
    Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works. Fitchburg Mass, USA
    Pat'd Apr 6 86,Feb15 87,May10 87,Mar13 88,Aug25 96, Pat's Pending

The serial number under the trigger is 1601, under the grip is L1601

Barrel measures 3.25 inches, 8 shot .22, break-over design.

Looking for manufacture date, model, and value. Also, if anyone has a good place for parts.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF.

According to the book, Sealed Eight serial L1601 was made 1932, the year the model was introduced.

But the barrel assembly is a puzzle, as there is no mention of a 3.25" option, and the barrel marking listed was only the I. J. address, with no patent dates.

The patent dates listed are those marked on the early black powder models, which were not made in .22 caliber:

Is there any sign that the barrel has been sleeved, and is there a serial number marked under the top strap?
  3. GeneWilsoon

GeneWilsoon New Member

I was just as puzzled but I think that you hit the nail on the head!!

It does look like the barrel was sleeved and under the top strap is hard to read but looks like RXX3.

I thought that I might have the only 3.25 barrel Sealed Eight in existance! Thanks for the help.
    Gene
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Nice example of American ingenuity.