1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver johnson second model serial number ID

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 64shovelhead, Sep 26, 2010.

1. 64shovelhead

64shovelhead New Member

Hello Gentlemen...New member here.

My Grandfather recently dropped off an Old Iver Johnosn to me for repair (basically he didn't want to spend the time to mess with it) and i am having a hard time finding out what the exact year of manufacture was. Upon looking through past threads and Mr. Goforth's previous responses I have yet to find a year mentioned for a serial Number prefix of "R".

This is an Iver Johnson Hammerless, Large frame, 5 shot, .38, second model with the safety trigger catch. Serial R52XXX. Nickel plated (at one time). Double post latch top. The barrel, trigger guard and frame all have a common number sharing the five digits of the serial number. The barrel rip is marked with Iver johnson firearms and cycleworks only and patent date (s) are on butt of the grip frame. I was given an extra cylinder with it. I had to reposition the rear leaf pring underneath the grip as it was rattling around and make a new trigger spring....All is well now!

The questions I have are......Were they sold with a second cylinder? and What is the date of manufacture with the prefix of the letter R? Finally.....What is it worth?

any help would be greatly appreciated....Also this forum is awesome. I have been here many times looking up old informatin on H&R's....sweet resource!
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the R letter code was used on the second model large frame 38 S&W safety automatic hammerless revolver in 1906,1907 and 1908. this serial number was most likely made in 1907. all safety automatic revolvers were sold with only one cylinder in one caliber. in the first & second models there were only three caliber offered and two frame sizes (22 & 32 in small & 38 in large). in the third model there were four calibers offered in two frame sizes. the 32 S&W Long (6 shot) was offered in the large frame.

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------- -–1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish with blue optional, two frame sizes and three calibers. Hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall all length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$285 60%=$150
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%
  3. 64shovelhead

64shovelhead New Member

As always your knowledge is dazzling Mr. Goforth.

My condolences on your sons untimely passing.

Thank you very much sir.

64shovelhead