The Firearms Forum banner

Iver Johnson Serial Number.

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  45Auto 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased the gun a while back from my girlfriends grandmother and finally got it out of her gun safe last night. I'm wondering if it's the type that shoots black powder, or smokeless ammo. The serial number under the left side of the stock is c 1 929, and on the bottom of the butt it has written

at June 16, '96 Aug 25, '96
FPT 6 04 Pats Pending.

On top of the barrel is written.

IVER JOHNSONS ARMS AND CYCLE WORKS
FITCHBURG MASS, USA

I believe it's a .32 cal, Small frame, uploading a photo of it after this post to help identify it.

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome to TFF.

Serial C1929 should be a large frame third model made in 1909, the first year of upgrades for smokeless powder ammo. Most are .38s and the chambers should measure about 3/8" diameter. The correct ammo is .38 S&W (not .38 Special). A few were also made in .32 S&W Long caliber.

#4 ·
I have noticed that the serial numbers on IJ revolvers can be missleading. The best indicator of which model you have is often looking at the revolver itself.

From the images posted, your revolver is clearly a 3rd model automatic safety hammer. The 3rd model was made for modern ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.