*IVER JOHNSON SERIAL NUMBERS

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Toby_022004, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Toby_022004

Toby_022004 New Member

I have an Iver Johnson serial number I 33714
    I'm trying to find out the model production year
    and any other info I can get on it
  2. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon New Member

Not enough information. Is the gun large frame or small frame, hammerless or a hammer gun?
  3. Toby_022004

Toby_022004 New Member

Not sure about it being large frame or small frame I can tell u it is a top break and I believe it to be a 38 short I'm not sure check the pics I'm sending and serial # and see what u can tell me and it is external hammer. with serial under gripand owls facing front of weapon

Attached Files:

4. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon New Member

You appear to have a Iver Johnson Safety Automatic Second Model Hammer Version. "Automatic" in this case refers to the fact the shells will automatically eject when the action is opened. The serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1903. It is important to note that this gun was designed to shoot black powder cartridges, not modern smokeless powder ammunition, and can be dangerous if you choose to fire it with modern ammo. In excellent condition the gun would be worth about $175. In it's present condition it has no real value except as a historial artifact. Save it and show it to your own grandchildren.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  5. Willyman57

Willyman57 New Member

I have an Iver johnson Serial number A90722, No safety, dual ost Top latch, black grips. When was it manufactured and what is its value? Mine is in great condition and works very well mechanically.
  6. RobRob

RobRob New Member

I have a Iver Johnson Top Break 5 shot hammer gun. Serial number A15589 on the bottom of hand grip. I would info about it and what calber it is. Also will it fire modern ammo. In good condition what would its aprox. value be.
  7. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Large.
  8. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

More information is necessary. Please read the Sticky post in the "Ask the pro's what it's worth" category re: Iver Johnson and submit your post there. You'll get a quick response that way too.
    And welcome to TFF!
  9. caliblue62

caliblue62 New Member

Hi all. I just purchases an iver Johnson hammerless 5 shot top break revolver. Don't know if it's a .32 or .38. Serial #is 4680 both on the underside of the trigger and under the grip,left side. I've noticed all of the serial numbers I see posted have a letter and a 5digit #. Can anyone tell me more about mine?
  10. MFHretired

MFHretired New Member

I too am looking for a manufacture date. According to the "blue Book of Gun Values" my pistol is a "third model safety automatic hammer (smokeless powder cartridge)", indicated by 22 cal, small frame, 3in barrel, double top post four cross pins, coil spring, etc. The serial number is E368XX. Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture?

Thanks
  11. RJay

RJay Active Member

IAW Mr. Goforth's book ( the same individual who furnished Blue Book it's information ) Your gun was made in 1931
  12. flyez1

flyez1 New Member

I have a Iver Johnson revolver that has no caliber printed on it anywhere. It does have a serial number though. G43737. It has a removable cylinder with a pin release. I have checked the hole in the cylinder and its too large to be a 32 caliber. A 38 special goes in okay but is too long. Can anyone tell me what this thing is? Appreciate any information at all. Thanks, Flyez1
  13. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF.

Your "pin release" description indicates a solid-frame model and not a top break, and the only solid frame .38 with G serial number prefix I find listed is the post-war model 55-SA made 1963-1974.

It should be marked with that model number and caliber is the old .38 S&W round, which is shorter and slightly larger diameter than .38 Special.
  14. RJTravel

RJTravel New Member

I have a top break 6-shot .32 in very good condition. Serial number H44481. Can you help with info?

Tnx,
    Richard
  15. hrf

hrf Active Member

Made in 1922 for .32 S&W Long cartridge.
  16. RJTravel

RJTravel New Member

Tnx again for info - and cartridge (I was unsure). New here - plz advise if wrong forum. I am ready to go to the range (nearby Natl Forest) and am alarmed to see such a large barrel/cylinder gap. I measure .042 thou. The gun has seen very limited use - is it typical to see such large b/c gap in 91 year old little used I.J. top-break exposed hammer .32s?
    Tnx,
    Richard
  17. Rice07

Rice07 New Member

I have an Iver Johnson .32 short with serial number 527375 under grips, I need help find out the year and if I need smokeless or black powder. Thanks
  18. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF but clear photos will be needed to identify what you have, as I. J. made several very different .32s.

And something's wrong with the serial you list as when 100,000 was reached, they started over with a new letter prefix.
  19. kindle45

kindle45 New Member

I have an iver Johnson target model 55a .22 8 shot. serial number H44679 on the side. can I get some info on it? (i.e. when it was made) thanks
  20. another_mike

another_mike New Member

My wife recently inherited an Iver Johnson 5 shot .38 caliber revolver with hammer, top break, automatic ejector, and coil spring in the grip. It has a serial number of C408XX. We were hoping someone could help with an approximate date of manufacture and whether this is a Second Model or Third Model?