1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver Johnson Shotgun Needs Identification!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by na53, Feb 8, 2011.

1. na53

na53 New Member

Hey guys, I've just joined these forums and I just wanted help on identifying a certain shotgun and ultimately to know if it can shoot smokeless powder ammo, or modern ammo, if you will.

First off, I want to say I've spent hours searching this forum and others for information about my gun. The best thread was actually on this forum, but I still could not pinpoint my gun's specs to the provided information that was given.

All I know so far about this gun:
    -Iver Johnson & Cycle Works 12 Gauge Champion
    -28" Single Barrel
    -Break action
    -On the top of the barrel reads exactly: " -12 GAUGE-CHOKEBORE- " and then exactly under it, it has " BARRELANDLUGFORGEDINONE "

-On the left side of the gun it is very hard to read due to lots of wear, and this is all I could make out:
    ChampioN (the letters go from big, to small, to big again)

-When the action is open, there is a black "P" just under the barrel
    -The serial number is:
    1 8 6 5, and then the last character is smaller, and is either another "5" or an "S", it's very hard to read.

There are no other markings that I know of. I've provided a picture (the stock is broken so I took if off for now). The main question I want answered (hopefully!) is if this gun was made late enough to shoot modern ammunition. Thanks in advance.
    -Nick

Attached Files:

2. na53

na53 New Member

Here are pictures of the serial number and the engraving on the top of the barrel.

Attached Files: