Iver Johnson Shotgun Needs Identification!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by na53, Feb 8, 2011.

1. na53

na53 New Member

Hey guys, I've just joined these forums and I just wanted help on identifying a certain shotgun and ultimately to know if it can shoot smokeless powder ammo, or modern ammo, if you will.

First off, I want to say I've spent hours searching this forum and others for information about my gun. The best thread was actually on this forum, but I still could not pinpoint my gun's specs to the provided information that was given.

All I know so far about this gun:
    -Iver Johnson & Cycle Works 12 Gauge Champion
    -28" Single Barrel
    -Break action
    -On the top of the barrel reads exactly: " -12 GAUGE-CHOKEBORE- " and then exactly under it, it has " BARRELANDLUGFORGEDINONE "

-On the left side of the gun it is very hard to read due to lots of wear, and this is all I could make out:
    ChampioN (the letters go from big, to small, to big again)

-When the action is open, there is a black "P" just under the barrel
    -The serial number is:
    1 8 6 5, and then the last character is smaller, and is either another "5" or an "S", it's very hard to read.

There are no other markings that I know of. I've provided a picture (the stock is broken so I took if off for now). The main question I want answered (hopefully!) is if this gun was made late enough to shoot modern ammunition. Thanks in advance.
    -Nick

Attached Files:

2. na53

na53 New Member

Here are pictures of the serial number and the engraving on the top of the barrel.

Attached Files: