Iver Johnson Shotgun Question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Bnichs, May 18, 2009.

1. Bnichs

Bnichs New Member

This isn't really about how much the gun is worth, so if it needs to be moved to a different forum I appologize for the incovenience.

I have a newly discovered interest in guns and I was looking at My Great Grandfathers old Iver Johnson 12 guage. It's heavily used and I can't even read some of the Markings on the gun.

Here is what I can tell you:

It is a 12 guage.

It says Matted Rib on the side of it.

It is a single shot top breaking model. The release mechanism is a lever on the top that pushes to the right.

It has a hammer for a firing mechanism.

The serial number appears to be 232 XF.

It has some designs in the wood on the forestalk and the pistol grip.
    A diamond pattern on both sides and the bottom of the forestalk.
    The pattern on the grip follows the curved portion of the stalk, flat on the bottom and 3 points on the top of the curve.

I can't find any pattent dates on it or anything like that.

I am interested in anything that you can tell me about the gun, especially the year it was made.

If images would help let me know and I can get some for you.

Thanks
    Brandon
  2. Bnichs

Bnichs New Member

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i can not give you an exact manufacture date on this shotgun but can give an era of manufacture. iver johnson shotgun serial number with two letter code suffixes were manufactured in the middle to late 1930's (1935-1939).

CHAMPION MATTED RIB MODEL--------------------------------1912-1941
    Single barrel centered mounted rebounding hammer; top lever break open mechanism; solid raised full length rib finely matted; American Black Walnut full checkered pistol gripped butt stock, and fore-end; gagues 12,16 and 20; barrel length: 28, 30 and 32 inches full choked; weight with 30 inch barrel 12 gague 7 ¼ lbs., 16 and 20 gague 7 pounds; automatic extractors or automatic ejectors; case hardened frame and blue barrel; overall length with 30 inch barrel 45 inches; .410 bore added in 1928 with a 28 inch full chocked barrel. This model will also be found marked with the WESTERN FIELD brand name
    VALUE: 100%=$315 60%=$150 Add 10% for the 410 Bore Model

bill
  4. jpstamper

jpstamper New Member

Hello,

I inherited an iver johnson rifle from my late father and I was hoping you could tell me the approx. year it was made.

It says
    CHAMPION
    iver johnson's arms & cycle works
    fitchburg, Mass U.S.A
    serial GCXC
    410 bore full choke barrel and log forged in one

26 inch barrel length

single shot top breaking model.
    release mechanism is a lever on the top that pushes to the right.

thank you for any information you can provide!

John Stamper
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

iver johnson single barrel shotguns with all letters in the serial number were manufactured between 1940 and 1956.
    bill
  6. papavonschoen

papavonschoen New Member

I have an Iver Johnson 410 gauge, 26 inch barrel, S/N 76903, choke forged and lug forged in one. How old can it be?

Jon
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this last iver johnson 410 was most likely manufactured in the early to mid 1920's.
    bill
  8. Ptarmigan Hunter

Ptarmigan Hunter New Member

Hello, I have a question about a 24 gauge Iver Johnson shotgun, serial number 70144, which my step-grandson inherited recently. I am trying to find out some additional information about it, as well as some idea of its value. I would say it is in good condition, not perfect, but far from poor.

On the barrel is says, "-24 gauge - barrel and lug forged in one," and on the side of the action is written, "Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Company, Fitchburg, Mass, USA." Below this is written "Champion," which I took to be the model. It has a 28 inch barrel with a single bead sight on a round barrel. The chamber appears to be 2 3/4 inches.

I am hoping to get some idea of when this was made and roughly what it might be worth, just for curiosity's sake.
  9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

since so few of the 24 gauges show up today it is hard to believe they were a standard catalog between 1909 and 1927. your shotgun with out letter code in the serial number was most likely manufactured in the late teen's. the 24 gauge was first offered in the champion model 39 small frame and later in the standard frame until about 1928. it was also offered in a junior model with shorten butt stock which is even more rare

CHAMPION MODEL 36----------------------------1909-1922
    Single barrel; rebounding center mounted hammer; top lever operated break open design; gauges: 12, 16, and 20; barrel length: 28, 30, and 32 inches (features barrel and lug forged in one piece) bored full chock only; American black Walnut butt stock and fore-end; automatic extractors; weight 6¾ pounds; overall length with 30 inch barrel 45 inches; case hardened receiver (nickel available as option), browned barrel; automatic ejectors extra cost option; .410 bore, 24 and 28 gauges offered in 1913; 24 gauge dropped 1928; all gauges except 12 dropped after 1941; name changed to Champion single Barrel in 1917.
    CHAMPION SINGLE BARREL---------------------------1923-1978
    This is the same gun as the earlier Model 36 champion except that the smaller gauges are now built on the same frame as the large gagues. See above picture for specifications. The exact year production stopped has not yet been determined. Some of these single barrel shotguns have been seen with Canadian marking, these were most likely shipped to Canada and then marked as there is no evidence that Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works ever had a manufacturing factory in Canada
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$95
    Add 15% for 24, 28 gauges

CHAMPION MODEL 36 JUNIOR-------------------1909-1916
    Same frame size as regular Model 36; center mounted rebounding hammer; American Black Walnut butt stock and fore-end, butt stock shorten; case hardened frame and browned barrel; 12, 16, 20 gagues; barrel lengths of 26 and 28 inches, full chocked; automatic extractors; hard rubber butt plate; barrel and lug forged as one piece; weight with 26 inch barrel 6 ¼ lbs.; overall length with 26 inch barrel about 40 inches.
    VALUE: RARE 100%=$300 60%=$135

CHAMPION MODEL 39---------------------------1909-1916
    Smaller frame than Model 36; center mounted rebounding hammer; top lever break open mechanism; 1910 24 and 28 gauges only; 28 and 30 inch plain full choked barrels (barrel and lug forged as one piece), 1911-1915 24, 28, 410 gauges and 44 caliber (same barrel lengths); American Black Walnut butt stock and fore-end with hard rubber butt plate and pistol grip cap; automatic extractor with automatic ejector extra cost option; case hardened frame and browned barrel (nickel frame optional); weight 5¾ pounds; Overall length with 30 inch barrel 44 ½ inches.
    VALUE: 100%=$325 60%=$155

CHAMPION MODEL 39 JUNIOR--------------------1909-1916
    Same small frame as regular Model 39; center mounted rebounding hammer, American Black Walnut butt stock and fore-end, butt stock shortened; case hardened frame and browned barrel; 24 and 28 gagues; barrel length of 26 and 28 inches 410 and 44 caliber added after 1911, full chocked; automatic extractors; hard rubber butt plate; barrel and lug forged as one piece; weight 5¼ pounds with 26 inch barrel; overall length with 26 inch barrel about 39 ½ inches.
    VALUE: RARE 100%=$325 60%=$155

bill
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  10. binarybro

binarybro New Member

Based upon your description above it appears the Iver Johnsons 410 in my possession will be headed to the trash heap.

In addition to the place of manufacture, it's stamped "CHAMPION".

The serial number is 26167.

The barrel is 24 3/4" long, stamped; "410 GAUGE BARREL AND LUG FORGED IN ONE". Based upon it's length my guess is that it has been sawed-off.

The Butt Stock looks suspicious to me as well. It appears that someone has fashioned a wooden cap and installed it on the end where you would find a hard rubber butt plate giving the gun an overall length of about 41".

My first guess is that I have a CHAMPION MODEL 36 in 410 that's been sawed-off and had the butt stock modified. Would you agree?

If yes, what trash bin should I deposit it into, TRASH, GREEN WASTE, or RECYCLABLE?

Thanks for your thoughts, Mike.
  11. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

based on your three choises i would say Rcycleable is what need to be done with this shotgun as it appears to have been cut down.
    bill
  12. binarybro

binarybro New Member

Thank you for your quick response.
    Rather than deposit the gun in the recycle bin at curb side, I guess I should find a better way to recycle it. Maybe I could offer it for sale as parts or donate it to someone who can use some of it to rebuild their own. Perhaps that would be a better way to recycle it.
    Would anyone care to lead a fellow down the proper recycle path. I don't know where the best place to start is.
    Thank again, Mike
  13. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

thats what the on line auction site are far. start at 99 cents and be surprised at how high things will go. it will need to go thru a dealer or at least to a curio & relic licensee if out of state.
    bill
    bill