Iver Johnson shotgun.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jrets1, Jul 18, 2009.

1. jrets1

jrets1 New Member

I have an old Iver Johnson shotgun and can not find what model is it , when made or what it worth. All it has besides Iver Johnson Gun and Cycle Works is "Patent Applied for" stamped on the barrel and nothing else, no number, no name, no any ID. It looks like one on the picture form Website of Iver Johnson Collector of August 1994 the gun number 3. Unfortunately it pictured on the left side. My gun has little lever on the right side. Lever has a little knurled wheel on the end of it. I wanted to take it apart but don't know how to. Probably the lever has to move " dah" and the wheel on it has to move locking or unlocking something. The gun is soaking in kerosene for last 2 month waiting to be taken apart and cleaned. I have attached pictures with this message but don't know how or where they will show up. New to this forum. I was directed hear by Iver Johnson Collector from Huston Gun Collectors Association website. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the small wheel does lock the lever. the lever is used to turnuot the hinge pin which is threaded on the other end. the lever will not turn until the wheel is turned out of the recess it fits into on the frame. this older shotgun should be considered suitable only for black powder cartridge pressures. the patent refered to was actually applied for in 1898 but not granted until 1905. it is number 754080 and covers the removable hinge pin used on the shotgun. by 1905 a simplier (non-patented) removable hinge pin was introduced. this model iver johnson single barrel shotgun is not encountered very often today. iver johnson catalogs of the era simply refoer to it by the name listed below. this was iver johnson first modern shotgun as it had a self adjusting barrel latch, a feature not found on other manufacturers single barrel shotguns until much later.

IVER JOHNSON TOP SNAP IMPROVED MODEL 1901--------------1901-1904
    AKA: NEW WHITE POWDER WONDER AND WHITE POWDER WONDER, manufactured for Sears, Roebuck & Co.
    Single barrel hammer top lever operated break open mechanism; 12 and 16 gauges; barrels of steel choked bored in 28, 30, 32, and 34 inches in length; automatic ejectors; American Black Walnut butt stock and fore-end; casehardened frame and browned barrel; pistol grip butt stock; hard rubber butt plate and pistol grip cap; weight with 30 inch barrel 6 pounds; overall length with 30 inch barrel 45 inches.
    VALUE: RARE 100%=$300 60%=$135

IVER JOHNSON TOP SNAP IMPROVED MODEL 1901 JUNIOR MODEL--1901-1904
    Single barrel; top lever operated break open action; center mounted rebounding hammer; shortened butt stock; American Black walnut butt stock and fore-end; 12 and 16 gauge; 26 and 28 inch barrels; casehardened receiver and browned barrel; weight with 26 inch
    barrel 5 ½ lbs, with 28 inch barrel 6 lbs.; overall length about 40 inches.

IVER JOHNSON CHAMPION TOP SNAP----------------------------1905-1908
    A name change for the Iver Johnson Top Snap Single barrel hammer with top lever operating mechanism; 12 and 16 gauge; steel barrels in lengths 28, 30 and 32 inches full chocked; automatic ejectors; rebounding hammer; American Black Walnut butt stock and fore-end; casehardened frame and browned barrel; hard rubber butt plate and pistol grip cap; weight 6 pounds; overall length with 30 inch barrel 45 inches.

bill
  3. jrets1

jrets1 New Member

Thank you very much Bill. Helps a lot. Ilia.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

That shotgun needs a lot of #0000 steel wool and a light gun oil.