Iver Johnson Single Shot Shotguns

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by pbakasha, Feb 13, 2010.

1. pbakasha

pbakasha New Member

I have a couple of Iver Johnson Champions and one is marked 16 gauge Choke Bore Barrel and Lug forged in one. The other has what some have called an antique finish and is also marked Champion but it has a checkerboard pattern on the stock and forestock. They look nothing alike. How can I tell what the latter is choked and what gauge it is (short of trying shells - I am pretty sure it is a 20 gauge) if I can find no stamping? The only possible indication is that the serial number has a C after it under the trigger guard (all other instances of the serial number do not have the C). I am still trying to figure out how to load images as I have them on my computer but they do not have a URL. I thank you for any and all information you can provide and will continue to work on my computer illiteracy.

Choke Bore
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

to upload pictures from your computer you need the services of a hosting site. photobucket is a good free site. the champion single barrel shotgun marked choke bored indicates a full choke. in fact that is the only way iver johnson offered the champion for many years. the champion single barrel was offered in a couple of different variants after 1909 one being the "matted rib" model. one of the standard features of this model was a checkered pistol grip and forearms.

only after you post some pictures can i really tell what you have. FYI a lot of champion single barrel shotguns have a single or double letter sufix and some have a serial number of all letters.
    bill
  3. pbakasha

pbakasha New Member

Still working on the links
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  4. pbakasha

pbakasha New Member

Still no luck
  5. pbakasha

pbakasha New Member

6. pbakasha

pbakasha New Member

7. pbakasha

pbakasha New Member

8. pbakasha

pbakasha New Member

I have several IJs stamped Matted Rib and I have an H&R handgun also that I will post pics of (Now that I know how). I apologize for the size of the images but I don't know how to make them smaller. Still learning
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the iver johnson champion single barrel shotgun is the matted rib model and the closest i can give you on a date in 1920-1929. (a single letter code suffix)

CHAMPION MATTED RIB MODEL--------------------------1912-1941
    Single barrel centered mounted rebounding hammer; top lever break open mechanism; solid raised full length rib finely matted; American Black Walnut full checkered pistol gripped butt stock, and fore-end; gagues 12,16 and 20; barrel length: 28, 30 and 32 inches full chocked; weight with 30 inch barrel 12 gague 7 ΒΌ lbs., 16 and 20 gague 7 pounds; automatic extractors or automatic ejectors; case hardened frame and blue barrel; overall length with 30 inch barrel 45 inches; .410 bore added in 1928 with a 28 inch full chocked barrel.
    This model will also be found marked with the WESTERN FIELD brand name
    VALUE: 100%=$315 60%=$150
    Add 10% for the 410 Bore Model