1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver Johnson Super Shot Sealed 8 Questions

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Hammerdown, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    I am a new member here, and traded today for a revolver I know little about. It is a Prewar Iver Johnson Super Shot Sealed Eight, Traget adjustable sight revolver. The seller shared with me that it is accurate, and durable. Here are some pictures of it, and I would appreciate it, if anyone could tell me more details about this revolver. Thanks, in advance to all that reply, Hammerdown
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

That is a Second Model 833
    DOM from 1946-1954
    Looks like it's in real nice cond.
    The IJ currently don't have a lot of collector interest so prices remain low.
    Yours is in the $150-$175 range.
    It has recessed cylinder so you may shot HV ammo in it.
  3. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    HMMM. The Guy I swapped with said it was a Pre-War revolver. Wonder where he got that from? Like I said, I know little about this brand revolver, anything else you can add? I have Pre-War K-22 Outdoorman, and from what I have read S&W was the first to recess the .22 cylinders with the newer Winchester ammo introduced in the early 30s, and this recessed cylinder caught my eye, that is why I wondered if it was really a Pre-War revolver..Thanks, Hammerdown
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Accordin to my book if it has an adjustable finger rest it is pre-war
  5. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    The seller, told me it had adjustable grips as well,:confused: and he did not elaborate on what he meant by that.:eek: I am into this right, so it looked like a decent little Plinker.;) Thanks, Hammerdown
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The first model was mfg 1932-1941 however it had checkered grips.
    It also has recessed cylinder.
    The only barrel length was 6"
    The Adj finger rest and sights were the model 834.
    Value is same as the second model
    Whats not rihgt for yours to be a first model is the grips.
    Look for a model # on it. Look under the grips
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  7. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    I will have to wait until it shows up here to do this. It was an out of State deal. I am wondering if the grip's could have been changed, from wood checkered ones to the ones it has now ? Is the screw locations and frames the same on the Pre-War's as this newer model you speak of ? The owner swore it was a Pre-War, So I guess I will have to wait and check the serial under the grips when it shows up. I am hoping it is older as most older revolver's were smoother and built better during the Prewar era. Thanks, Hammerdown
  8. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    I finally recieved the Iver Johnson. It is indeed a pre-War according to Mr. Goforth who provided me with Pre-War serial numbers, and this one is 1789X. The grips also look to be original and have a nice Burl grain to them. It is a good shooter as well. I have seen very few with this rear sight set up in the past, but it is simple.I have taken it apart to clean it, and discovered it has not been fired much if any at all. The pivot point is still stiff and I see no wear on any of the parts.It has an adjustablke trigger stop, adjustable finger rest, and adjustable main coil spring notches to lessen or increase the main spring tension. Regards, Hammerdown
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  9. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It's a darned nice old gun!
    Bill
  10. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello Bill
    Thanks for the Kind comments. It is one Like I have not seen in the past. All the ones I have seen mostly have fixed sights. This one leaves a little to be desired on the sight design, but it is functional. The action is very tight and locks up like a vault. I assume it has been fired little by the overall shape of it. I shot about 100 rounds through it, and it did better with standard velocity ammo with lead bullets. Regards, Hammerdown
  11. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

for every ones information;
    here how the iver johnson 1938 catalog list the 22 supershot sealed eight;
    model 88 fixed sight
    model 833 adjustable sights
    model 834 adjustable sights and finger rest adapter
    standard, high gloss blue finish, over sized checkered walnut grips (called hi-hold), 6 inch barrel (proofed), cylinder with recessed chambers.

the reason it shoot the standard velocity ammo so well is that is what it is champered for. during the prewar era there was only one other iver johnson handgun that cost more the the model 834, that was the model 822 single action target revolver.

the most popular 22 supershot sealed eight was the model 88 (fixed sights) then the 833 (adjustable sights) and finally the 834. there was one more model called the "model 90 protector sealed eight" had pocket size grips and 2 1/2 inch barrel only. this is a very rare model manufactured only 1932-1941.

in the 22 supershot sealed eight series the prewwII serial numbers only went to L26600. considering the entire production run of 22 supershot sealed eights was about 125,000 (or slightly less) the pre war model are scarce. my book calls the pre war models 1st model 1932-1941 and the post war models 2nd model 1946-1954 the third model also called model 844 was manufactured 1955 to 1957. there is no real difference between the 1st model (prewar) and the 2nd model (post war) until about 1952 when the barrel shape was changed. there are also a 4 inch barrel 2nd and third model that is some what scarce.
    bill
  12. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello Mr Goforth
    Thanks so much for your detailed description of the Super sealed Eight revolver I have. I apprecaite it, and know little about this classic. Best regards, Hammerdown
  13. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Good lookin pistol Hammerdown
  14. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello Southern Shooter
    Thanks for the kind words. It appears I have stumbled onto a revolver not all that popular in todays world for what Mr. Goforth has stated. Regards, Hammerdown
  15. saguaro6

saguaro6 New Member

My Father in law has a First Model, exactly like Hammerdown's except the front blade sight is rounded. It's in nowhere near the shape, tho. Looking for a manual for it. The checkered stock is the same. It's serial 14579.