Iver Johnson Super Shot Sealed 8 Questions

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Hammerdown, Aug 31, 2006.

1. twopass

twopass New Member

Greetings!
    I discovered this website/thread while Googling images of the Super Sealed "8".

Congrats on securing such a pristine example of the gun.

I will inherit an identical "8" my father owned when my mother passes.

I have a picture of him holding it and the skunk he shot with it on a farm in N.D. in 1937(?).

The gun shows/exhibits use. The bluing is worn from riding in a holster, and I recall while shooting it some 20 odd years ago it would some times "jam" while cycling it double-action. As if the mechanism wasn't engaging the notch in the cylinder properly.

So, it definitely has a future date w/a gunsmith. Also, last time I saw it the adjustable finger rest (and it did have one) had mysteriously gone missing. Damn! That'll be a impossible to find item.

Are there any parts sources for Iver Johnsons?

Cheers........
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

Give Numrich customer service a call, they may have the finger rest:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ContactUs.aspx
  3. jmace57

jmace57 Member

Not to hijack the thread, but my reading this thread sent me on a quest for one of these. Don't know why it so appealed to me, but I knew I had to have one. Months of participating in gun auctions led to me buying one for $150 in not quite as nice a condition as the one shown above. It was made in the early 30's accoriding to the serial number. I took it shooting at the range this past week for the first time and have never shot a pistol so accurate. At 7 yards was shooting groups of 1". Amazing. (Serial #L24422)
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  4. hrf

hrf Active Member

Serial no. L24422 was made in 1941, the last prewar batch.
  5. jmace57

jmace57 Member

Thanks hrf
  6. Birdseye

Birdseye New Member

Hi. I saw the write up on these pistols in the May American Rifleman:
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/iver-johnson-22-supershot-sealed-eight/

The look of the gun appealed to me and I kept my eyes open. I recently got this one sn L84xx

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Couple of questions for any who care to respond. First, what date do you think this gun is? Seems that it might well be in the first production year. Second: what is the deal with the receiver color? It is steel (I thought that it might be a funky brass) and the color is uniform, even under the grips.

Oh, about the grips, the grip screw mates with a square nut in the frame that is held in position with a piece of cellophane tape. Early production maybe?

Odd.

Thoughts welcome.
  7. hrf

hrf Active Member

L84XX was made in 1933, second year of production.

The odd frame tint may be a result of refinishing, and the front sight also is more slanted than the originals.

The square nut sounds like the original threaded hole stripped out and a fix was improvised.
  8. Birdseye

Birdseye New Member

Interesting, thank you.

The finish is odd. In poking around the net I have come across a couple of these with a similar finish on the frame (as far as I can tell). The screws and such don't look like they have been monkeyed with.
  9. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Personaly I tend to think it was likely refinished (the frame at least) with browning to purposely achieve a different (two tone) look. The grip screw hole sometimes strips and that is the result.
  10. nsh0762

nsh0762 New Member

Hey All,
    I am new to the forum but stumbled across while doing some research on my IJ Supershot Sealed Eight. This was handed down to me from my Dad and I am not sure of the history before that. From previous posts it would seem to be a model 834. It does have the finger rest and adjustable sights. I would like to know its manufacture date if someone could help. Under the grip is stamped s/n L20457. Same # is on bottom of trigger guard without the L. This is a fine shooting gun that my family has got a lot of enjoyment out of. Any help would be appreciated.
  11. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF. Your Model 834 was made in 1939.
  12. nsh0762

nsh0762 New Member

Thank You hrf for the info. I had no idea it was that old.
  13. eaton1990

eaton1990 New Member

Hoping some of you over Johnson fellas are still out there, I have owned a IJ supershot sealed 8 since i was 14 I have recently become interested in the actual date it is from I have a serial number on the underneath of the trigger guard L318xx I'm wonder if its worth restoring it still fires wonderfully but needs to be reblued
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  14. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF. Your Supershot Sealed 8 was made in 1946.

Refinishing will destroy any future collector value. Let the next owner decide if he wants to reblue it.