IVER JOHNSON TARGET MODEL 55 8 SHOT 22

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by SOCALFRED50, Aug 30, 2012.

1. SOCALFRED50

SOCALFRED50 New Member

I AM HAVING PROBLEMS REMOVING THE CYLINDER TO CLEAN THIS GUN. THE CYLINDER PIN COMES OUT EASILY BUT THE CYLINDER GETS STUCK COMING OUT. IS THERE A SPECIAL POSITION THE CYLINDER HAS TO BE IN TO COME OUT OR WHAT AM I DOING WRONG.
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Are you putiing the hammer on half-cock "safety" position first?

If not, the cylinder is probably catching on the firing pin.
  3. SOCALFRED50

SOCALFRED50 New Member

tHE GUN DOESN'T HALF A HALF COCK POSITION. aNY OTHER IDEAS. fRED
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

I'll admit I'm not that familiar with the post war solid frame I.J.s; does the hammer rebound after firing? I don't see any parts in the schematic that look like they'd provide a rebound function.

If the hammer does not rebound after firing, then you'd need to hold the hammer back a little when removing and replacing the cylinder to keep it from catching on the firing pin.

Maybe the half-cock notch on the hammer is worn or chipped off.
  5. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

SOCALFRED50,
    If you look at the cylinder front flange, you will notice a cut-out area. This allows you to clear the forcing cone when removing the cylinder by lining this cut-out up with it.
    Old Gun Guy
  6. JewBMX

JewBMX New Member

i own the same gun and use it often, easiest way to take it apart is half cocking it then open the door and push the button in while removing the pin and while putting the pin back in. also your pins your best friend when emptying onlything left to remember is that the chamber comes out with a reversed roll.