Iver Johnson Target Model 55

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Steve_in_SouthernMD, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Steve_in_SouthernMD

Steve_in_SouthernMD New Member

Hi everyone

I recently inherited my grandmother's revolver which is an Iver Johnson Target Model 55. It's a .22 8 shot. I haven't been able find a lot of info about this weapon. Does anyone know how to take the cylinder out?

Thanks
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the button below the cylinder pin must be depressed ahd held while pullin the cylinder pin to the front.

I.J. TARGET MODEL 55-------------------------------1955-1960
    The year 1955 Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works introduced a new designed solid frame double action revolver. For the next few years they introduced at least one new model a year, the first year two new models were introduced. The Model 55 is a large solid frame revolver with pull pin cylinder release, blue finish and large oversize one piece plastic grips (they called them Tenite). Does not have Hammer the Hammer action. Barrel length: 4 ½ inch and 6 inches; .22 rimfire caliber with 8 rounds cylinder capacity, recessed chambers and Flash Control front rim (cylinder unfluted until 1958); Weight with 4 ½ inch barrel 26 ounces, with 6 inch barrel 27 ounces; Frame height 4 inches; Frame length 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: with 4 ½ inch barrel 9 ¼ inches, with 6 inch barrel 10 ¾ inches.
    DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION. SEE MODEL 55A FOR VALUES
    I.J. TARGET MODEL 55A-----------------------------1961-1978
    The difference between this A series and the earlier series is the addition of a loading gate to the right side of the frame. All specifications are the same except a small weight gain because of the loading gate. This model was also called Iver Johnson Sportsman in the 1974 to 1978 era DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$95

bill
  3. Steve_in_SouthernMD

Steve_in_SouthernMD New Member

bill

thanks for the info on the revolver. looks like the cylinder pin is slightly bent and will not come out. when i first tried the button underneath it would not move either but i have broken it loose after you suggested to depress it. if i remove this pin will the cylinder pin come out? or does the button push a release?

Thanks!
    Steve
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the button to remove the cylinder is screwed together in two pieces. the pin ablove it helps hold the barrel in place. a bent cylinder pin may be hard to remove and the screwed together release button also may be frozen if it has not been removed in a long time. before trying anything else it might be best to liberally oil the button and let set for a day or two.

bill
  5. JewBMX

JewBMX New Member

i own the same gun and use it often, easiest way to take it apart is half cocking it then open the door and push the button in while removing the pin and while putting the pin back in. also your pins your best friend when emptying :) onlything left to remember is that the chamber comes out with a reversed roll.