Iver Johnson top break 32

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bluerunner1, Oct 6, 2010.

1. bluerunner1

bluerunner1 New Member

I have a Iver Johnson 32 top break or at least i think it to be so. I have read all the threads and still not sure what i have 1,2 or 3rd gen. I posted this one pic and wont be home for a couple weeks so i cant get the #s but hope someone can help. all grips or good and finish is good. I read that some of you call it a death trap and not safe to fire. This was a hand me down and i have never done anything with it. All info and a value would be great

Attached Files:

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a third model safety automatic hammer revolver. it is hard to tell from the pictures but the frame appears to have a plum color. if so this is a prime giveaway to a refinished gun. as it is a third model usually safe with modern ammo it is just a shooter and has lost any of it collector value and would be valued for its ability to be fired and carried. also the barrel appears shorter than the 3inch standard on the small frame but a longer than the 2 inch optional length. the values listed below have been altered to reflect a refinished revolver.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)--------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch with Hammer the Hammer action. This model redesigned to be strong enough for smokeless powder. All coil springs, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, optional oversize grips of hard rubber or wood were offered. Two frame sizes, four calibers, Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel .32 Special 19 ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ inches; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$150 60%=$75
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

nice looking little gun, would love to have one in my collection
  4. bluerunner1

bluerunner1 New Member

Thanks for the info, i will look again when i get home on the refinish job...it does have a little flaking on top. Iam new to this site..its great
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

also check the left side of the barrel. if it is stamped with the company name and address on the left side it is factory original.
    bill
  6. Basil

Basil New Member

My uncle has an Iver Johnson 32 with a three inch barrel. Serial number
    A529XX The hammer spring is a coil type and it has four pins in the frame.
    What year was it made and what is it worth in average condition? I do not
    have a picture of it at this time. Any info greatly appreciated.
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

basil,
    this one is the small frame 32 caliber version of the above. serial number indicate made in 1911, A30201 thru A66700 with 36,500 made. see above for values.

bill
  8. Basil

Basil New Member

Bill Thank you very much for your reply. I will inform my uncle of your answer
    and he will appreciate your time and work also. Regards, Basil