Iver Johnson Top Break Question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mobilegreg, Nov 11, 2012.

1. mobilegreg

mobilegreg New Member

Just got hold of an IJ top break 38 s&w serial Q34978 with the safety hammer, not the hammerless, and was wondering if anyone can give me more info on the dateit was manufactured and if this is for smokeless or black powder.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That serial letter would made it a large frame, second Model, ninth variation, made in 1906. Since 1909 is the date usually given for the IJ changeover to smokeless powder, it would be for black powder or low power smokeless loads. Since the factory loads in .38 S&W are held to black powder pressures, it should be OK to fire a few rounds from that gun, but I recommend against a steady diet of modern loads.

Jim
  3. mobilegreg

mobilegreg New Member

Thanks for the info. Another question about the trigger action. I noticed the cylinder is free spinning which I understand is normal unless in fully cocked then it should be locked up. My question is there seems to be a small click in the trigger when barely pulled which then creates a clicking when the cylinder is spun and will not allow the cylinder to spin in the reverse direction. Is this normal or is there something catching in the trigger? As for ammunition, I found some Ten X 38 short colt, is this the correct ammo or should it simply be the 38 s&w.
  4. hrf

hrf Active Member

It sounds like the hand or lever that rotates the cylinder is sticking in its slot until there's slight pressure on the trigger.

Normally, it should block reverse rotation of the cylinder.

And .38 Short Colt is the wrong ammo, slightly smaller diameter than .38 S&W. It can be used in .38 Special/.357 Mag guns, which will not chamber .38 S&W.