Iver Johnson Top-Break Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JLips, Dec 14, 2010.

1. JLips

JLips New Member

I'm looking at an Iver Johnson top break revolver that is blued and hammerless. The finish is rough, with some deep scratches and a few mangled screws, but the action is tight and it fires. Wondering when it was produced?? Serial number is only listed under the grip, there is nothing on the trigger guard like I've seen in others. SN = B 918xx

Thanks,
    John
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

based on the information provided this is either a first or second model small frame 32 S&W safety automatic hammerless. the B letter code was used between 1896 and 1902, the serial number was added to the bottom of the trigger guard in 1904 without letter code. only the exact patent dates and where there are found will pin the date of manufacture down.
    bill
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  3. JLips

JLips New Member

The only other markings on this revolver are on the top of the barrel. Stamped in the flat portion of the top of the barrel is:

"Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works Fitchburg, Mass, U.S.A
    Pat'd APR 6 85 FEB 15 87 MAY 10 87 MAR 13 88 AUG 25 96 Pat's Pending"

Thank you again for the expertise Bill.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

those barrel markings make it a second model made in 1899 or possibly very early 1900 depending if it has a seperate hammer shroud. do not fire modern smokeless ammo in this revolver.
    bill
  5. JLips

JLips New Member

Thank you Bill... I appreciate the input. I ordered a copy of your book from the site, looking forward to learning about these Iver Johnson pistols.

Thanks again,
    John
  6. 9026543

9026543 Member

Newbie here with a question.
    A friend was showing me today a rough old nickel plated top break Iver Johnson pistol with the owl head grips that he had acquired. The old gun did not have any caliber designation that I could find nor any serial number. The only marking I could find was on top of the barrel. Which was "Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works Fitchburg, Mass, U.S.A
    Pat'd APR 6 85 FEB 15 87 MAY 10 87 MAR 13 88 AUG 25 96 Pat's Pending" Is this by chance an old black powder 38 cartridge gun? If so anyone hazard a guess when it was made? Thanks.
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

those five patent date marked on the barrel were used between 1898 and 1902. this would make it a second model suitable for only black powder. check the serial number location on the left side of the grip frame (under the grips).

bill
  8. 9026543

9026543 Member

Thanks Bill. I will tell him to look under the left grip for the serial number.