Iver Johnson TP .22 Pistola

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Neil, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Neil

Neil New Member

I just got a Iver Johnson TP.22 pistol from my Pop, he wants me to clean it and return it :p ,like the second part will ever happen :p, but any how I have never heard of this type of PPk knock off before.....it's fun to shoot but just wanted some opinions on it

Thanks.

neil.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the tp22 was manufactured between 1982 and 1986, it is based on an erma werkes design and some of the earliest production used erma parts. it is a sound design that has an internal firing pin block. when the manual external safety is applied the firing is blocked at both the front and rear. i am a bit perjudice but i believe it is the safest pocket pistol ever produced. i purchased the first one to hit the houston area in 1982 (three digit serial number) and have never had a reason to be sorry. i did modified mine with an adjustable rear sight, higher front sight and trigger stop. i also purchased one each for my son and daughter (both still have them also) and i own a couple more as well as two 25acp versions (tp25).

mine will feed unjacked lead bullets and loves remmington thunderbolts so that what i use in it.
    b.goforth
  3. izzy2877

izzy2877 New Member

I have a TP22 as well. It seems to not like any other ammo but Rem SubSonic Hollow Points. Everthing else cases the gun to not cycle the next round from the magazine correctly(jammed). I have to pull magazine out, extract round and cock slide once again. Very frustrating. Any thougths or suggestions? Does anyone have any magazines for it they want to sell?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is another 22 that is very picky about what it will fire. the factory used cci stingers as test ammo but mine does not like it. magazines show up quite often on the auction sites even e-bay.
    bill
  5. izzy2877

izzy2877 New Member

Thanks for the info Bill. funny thing.. My wife and I had misplaced the original magazine during a move. I got lucky found one at a local gun dealer/smith for 12.00!! I hope I can find two more for around the same price.
    Robert
  6. izzy2877

izzy2877 New Member

Nice gun collection at http://users3.ev1.net/~goforth/ . It's is amazing the engineering and design principals used back in those days to make the firearms.
  7. MFMIFM

MFMIFM New Member

Hi All, I just purchased a Iver Johnson TP .22 and I'm looking for a manual for it. I know how to field strip it and to clean it. I've seen many companies selling parts for it, but I would still like a manual. If you know any one who has a manual in paper or .PDF format please let me know.

Thanks.
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i have a copy of the tp22 manual in pdf format, hover for the last week or so i have been having trouble with my dial-up connection. i could send you a hard copy.
    bill
  9. MFMIFM

MFMIFM New Member

"i have a copy of the tp22 manual in pdf format, hover for the last week or so i have been having trouble with my dial-up connection. i could send you a hard copy."

Hi Bill

I would prefer it in PDF format and I have no great need for it. When ever you can get it to me is fine. I just want it for reference.

Thanks
    George:)
  10. emerkel

emerkel New Member

Dear Bill:

I'd enjoy a copy of the TP22 manual also, if you can send it as a .pdf.

Many thanks; it's a sweet little pistol, in my experience.

emerkel@AOL.com
  11. BillWendel

BillWendel New Member

Bill, It's been ages since we've corresponded. Is it possible to email me a pdf with the TP-22 manual? It would be greatly appreciated. My edmail address is global101@alltel.net. Many thanks, Bill Wendel
  12. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

13. jrnookiemonster

jrnookiemonster New Member

My iver johnson just stopped being reliable. I cleaned and oiled it real good, but it still jams on the second to last round. I'm waiting for the new mag I just purchased, because I broke the other one trying to stretch the spring. Oops. I figured that might have been the problem. That or the extractor spring is weak. That's my best guess. If not, it's off to the gun smith.

Is it worth keeping?
    Does anyone have the instructions for full disassembly?

This would help out allot, cause I could replace some of the springs myself, and give it a much more thorough cleaning.

Thanks in advance,
    Cpl. Roveda
    USMC
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  14. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

numrich arms has a good parts list/drawing check out their web site.
    bill
  15. zeskullmaster

zeskullmaster New Member

I am in the Puyallup area in the great northwest s
    I have a OD green TP-22 with one Magazine and I am finding it frustrating to locate a extra mag anyone have any idea's where I might locate one in the Western Washington area ?