1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver Johnson Trailsman 66S

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by memsr, Mar 4, 2008.

1. memsr

memsr New Member

I have a Iver Johnson 5 shot top break revolver with exposed hammer. On the left side of the barrel ' TRAILSMAN 66S cal. 38 s&w'. On the right side of the barrel ' Iver Johnson & Company Fitchburg, Mass. USA'. On the right side frame in front of the cylinder ' P3672'. I can not find this model in any of the GUN books. This revolver looks identical to the VIKING 67S 2" snub. The only clue I have for a date of manufacture is the 'Iver Johnson & Company' was the name from 1887? to 1897.
    Does anyone have any info on this model Iver Johnson?

memsr
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the trailsman model 66S snub was manufactured between 1958 and 1978. the centerfire calibers of 32 S&W and 38 S&W were introduced in 1962 but phased out when the viking model 67S was introduced in 1964. the difference between the model 66 trailsman and the model 67 viking is the model 67 has the "hammer the hammer" action and the model 66 does not, it has a firing pin mounted on a rebounding hammer.

your model 66S trailsman snub was manufactured between 1962 and 1965. the serial number information on this model has been hard to come by. most of the factory information was lost during three moves and and several bankrupties. the information the ATF has is not considered public information and they want a hefty price to release it.

not sure where you got your information on the name of the company but here are the official names used.
    1871-1883 johnson & bye gunsmith
    1883-1894 iver johnson's arms co.
    1894-1978 iver johnson's arms & cycle works
    1978-1989 iver johnson arms
    1989-1993 iver johnson by amac

most of iver johnson's revolvers simply marked iver johnson during the 1960's and 1970's.
    bill
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  3. memsr

memsr New Member

Thanks for the info. I have looked at several GUN books and each had some differences in their info for I J's. The only picture I had for an I. D. was the VIKING 67S. Both look identical.
    memsr
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

5. ColtsGreenvilleNC

ColtsGreenvilleNC New Member

Mr. Memsr:

My name is Glenn and I own a gun shop in Winterville, NC. I have come across an unmarked .22 revolver that I believe to be an Iver Johnson. It is marked "Defender" and has about 80% of the original silver finish left. Also, it has some engraving.

Could you please give me an estimated value for this revovler? Thanks for your help.

Glenn
    Colt's Guns and Pawn