Iver Johnson ?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mhotao, Dec 17, 2009.

1. mhotao

mhotao New Member

I have a 410 single shot shotgun that I am trying to positivly identify. My father was given it as a 10yr old then he gave it to me at the same age and I gave it to my son at ten years old. Dad was born in 1925 so gun is 1935 model. Full choke barrelled only info on it says LONGRANGE SPORTSMAN. Before my father passed last XMAS he told me he thought it might have been gotten at a Montgomery Ward or Sears back in 1935. It looks like an Iver Johnson to me. The auto eject has broken and I am trying to find parts to repair. The only other thing that stands out is barrel is blued but the receiver/lock is off color bronze per say. Any ideas?? Thanks Matt O.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It is a Sears Store Brand and it is not a Iver Johnson. Iver Johnson won a law suit against Sears back around 1910 and hence forth Sears never was allowed to sell Iver Johnson firearms. Go to http:/www.e-gunparts.com/ and look up the Stevens/Savage Model 94 and compare it to your shotgun. Added information: Long Range Wonder was a Sears store brand and several makers used the name on shotguns furnished to Sears and Roebucks, Fryberg and Sons, Meriden Firearms Co. , Crescent Firearms Co and Stevens. Of the four companies, by 1935 only Stevens was left in the game ( And Stevens was by then owned by Savage ). The other companies either folder or were bought up by someone else. so, the odds are your shotgun is indeed a version of the Stevens 94. Hope that helps
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

4. mhotao

mhotao New Member

Thank you for the info. This is when I love the internet. Model 94 looks like it matches. I take it Sears would not put their name on it like they do on everything these days... Thanks again Matt O.