iver johnson

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dartslinger, Oct 7, 2010.

1. dartslinger

dartslinger New Member

I have an Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle works 28 gauge singe shot shotgun.
    This was given to me used about 60 years ago by my father.
    The serial is: IGBR
    Very good condidtion, works well. I actually love this gun.
    Just wondering what it's worth. Most other 28's have #'s for serial #'s.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

iver johnson single barrel champion shotguns with all letters in the serial number were made between 1940 and 1956. the 28 gauge will bring about a 15% premium. there was a recent post about champion shotguns that explained the serial numbers as i know them.

CHAMPION MODEL 36--------------------------------1909-1922
    Single barrel; rebounding center mounted hammer; top lever operated break open design; gauges: 12, 16, and 20; barrel length: 28, 30, and 32 inches (features barrel and lug forged in one piece) bored full chock only; American black Walnut butt stock and fore-end; automatic extractors; weight 6¾ pounds; overall length with 30 inch barrel 45 inches; case hardened receiver (nickel available as option), browned barrel; automatic ejectors extra cost option; .410 bore, 24 and 28 gauges offered in 1913; 24 gauge dropped 1928; all gauges except 12 dropped after 1941; name changed to Champion single Barrel in 1917.
    CHAMPION SINGLE BARREL----------------------------1923-1978
    This is the same gun as the earlier Model 36 champion except that the smaller gauges are now built on the same frame as the large gagues. See above picture for specifications. The exact year production stopped has not yet been determined. Some of these single barrel shotguns have been seen with Canadian marking, these were most likely shipped to Canada and then marked as there is no evidence that Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works ever had a manufacturing factory in Canada
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$95
    Add 15% for 24, 28 gauges

bill
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010