Iver Johnson's >32 caliber revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Carman, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Carman

Carman New Member

Hi All,
    I need help in determining the year of my Iver Johnson believed .32 caliber revolver as well as the current type and name brand ammunition I can use to fire this revolver. This small framed gun belonged to my grandfather. This is a 5 shot centerfire revolver with no exposed hammer. It is a top break nickel plated gun that has hard black grips with an Owls head at the top of each grip. Stamped on the top length portion of the barrel is as follows: Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works Fitchburg, Mass., U.S.A. Pat'd April 6, 86 Feb 15, 87 May 10, 87 Dec. 26, 93 Pat's Pending. The only serial that could be located on this revolver was on the left side of the grip frame in which the frame grips had to be removed. This Serial Number is B37314. In summary, I woud like to know the exact caliber of this relvolver which I am almost certain to be either a .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long as well as the date this gun was manufactured. Lastly, what is the value of this gun in very good condition and believed not to have ever been fired. From my limited research, I learned that a member of The Firearms Forum.Com is a Bill Goforth ( W. E. Goforth ) who is an expert on firearms manufactured by Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works and has authored a book titled "Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993". Any help to provide accurate information on this gun and the current ammunition I can use to fire this revolver will be greatly appreciated.

THE CAREMAN
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

these four patent dates were used between 1894 and 1897. with out knowing the type of barrel latch it has i am going to asume it is a first model manufactured in 1896 (but it could be an early second model manufactured in 1897). the caliber is 32 S&W (sometime refered to as the 32 short).

FIRST MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)--------------------1895-1896
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Single Top Post Barrel latch, finish, grip panels same as hammer model. Two frame sizes three calibers. Calibers: .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Standard barrel length same as hammer model; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .32 centerfire 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17 ¾ ounces: Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches: Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on bottom of butt (or left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see). The First Model features a single top post barrel latch (release lever mounted on left side of top strap) and flat leaf hammer spring.
    VALUE: 100%=$300 60%=$155

bill