Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by leeleebb1, Nov 3, 2010.

1. leeleebb1

leeleebb1 New Member

I have a Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works,Fitchburg, Mass. USA., 6 shot revolver which I found in my 95 year old grandma's possesions. I think it is a 32 because the bullets are marked 32. The top of the barrel is stamped 48890 but the bottom of the grip is dated Nov 17 with the last two numbers worn off. The gun is in pretty rough shape with wear. But the trigger works.

Help do not know anything about guns. How old is it? Is it safe? Is it a collectible?
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the 6 shot 32 S&W Long was only offered in the third model safety automatic revolver (not offered in first or second models). the main serial number location is on the left side of the grip frame under the grip panel. check there fora a serial number with letter code prefix. two possibilities of a manufacture date
    serial number C 48890 = 1911, 26,600 made
    serial number H 48890 = 1922, 13,400 made

if by chance it is a hammerless model there is only one possibility
    serial number D 48890 = 1911, 27,500 made

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)------------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; Double top post barrel latch, with Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish standard blue optional. Two frame sizes, four calibers, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, two piece oversize hard rubber and one piece wood grips optional. Redesigned for smokeless powder. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 12 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, large frame .32 Special with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$115

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)-------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; Double top post barrel latch, with Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish standard blue optional. Two frame sizes, four calibers, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, two piece oversize hard rubber and one piece wood grips optional. Redesigned for smokeless powder. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 14 ounces, large frame .32 Special with 3 ¼ inch barrel 19 ¼ ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 19 ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$260 60%=$125
    bill
  3. leeleebb1

leeleebb1 New Member

Thanks I'm going to check again
  4. leeleebb1

leeleebb1 New Member

When looking for the second serial number I realized I'd made a mistake in the original description the gun is a five shooter not six. Still did not see second serial number do I have to unscrew the gun and take it apart?
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

if it is a five shot then the only difference is the size of the frame and the serial number letter codes.
    third model small frame 32 S&W
    serial number= A 48890= 1911, 36,500 made that year
    serial number= G 48890= 1920, 6,100 made that year

hammerless model would be
    B 48890= 1911, 17,700 made that year

bill