Ivers and Johnson Pistol - date of Manufacture?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dmtrask, Jun 23, 2011.

1. dmtrask

dmtrask New Member

I recently acquired an Ivers and Johnson top-break pistol and of course, started here to find out more about it. Not only was there a ton of information, your expert contributors are amazing. That is why it is was very sad to hear that Bill Goforth had passed away. I read his posts and he was amazing in the depth and breadth of his knowledge. He is missed greatly by novices like me who relished his help.

I read his last posts on the Ivers and Johnson pistols. According to Bill the following information is necessary to ID the gun.

INFORMATION NEEDED TO IDENTIFY
    IVER JOHNSON’S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS SAFETY AUTOMATIC REVOLVERS

1. EXACT MARKINGS;
    A. TOP OF BARREL:

"IVER JOHNSONS ARMS AND CYCLE WORKS, FITCHBURG, MASS USA"

B. LEFT SIDE OF BARREL: NO MARKINGS

C. BOTTOM OF BUTT STRAP:

"PATENTS AUG 25, 96 AND NOV 17, 08 PATENTS PENDING"

2. SERIAL NUMBER FOUND ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE GRIP STRAP UNDER THE GRIP PANEL (MAIN LOCATION SINCE 1896).

D61293 ON THE FRAME WITH MATCHING NUMBERS ONLY ON THE TRIGGER GUARD

3. BARREL LENGTH;
    IT IS THE STANDARD BARREL LENGTH FOR LARGE FRAME IS 3 ¼ INCHES

4. HAMMER SPRING

IT IS THE THIRD MODEL CAPTIVE COIL SMOKELESS POWDER

CALIBERS:

IT IS THE THIRD MODEL LARGE FRAME HAMMERLESS
    38 S&W (5)

I am wondering when the gun was manufactured and would also like confirmation that it is smokeless powder and is safe to fire modern cartridges. I also would like to know where I can get replacement grips since the bottom corner of the right grip is busted off and missing.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Your gun was made in 1914, for the .38 S&W smokeless powder cartridge, and if in sound working condition should be safe to fire with current ammo. Here is a source of replica grips:

http://www.vintagegungrips.net/ao-i2a.html
  3. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

If you search for an original grip the owls head will be facing down. The first and second model it faced forward. Meantime I can tell you an easy repair method for the grip you have, if interested.
  4. dmtrask

dmtrask New Member

Thanks for the information on the pistol and the link to the site for replacement grips. You mentioned an easy way to repair the broken grip. How is that done? I don't have the missing piece.