1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Ivers Johnson 32cal. pistol 1906

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cliffj, Aug 9, 2006.

1. cliffj

cliffj New Member

I have a pistol of this description that belonged to my father in law's grandfather. It is in perfect condition ...working & appearance. It is double action , nickel plated (perfect). and is dated either 1906 or 1908 depending on who is looking at the markings. If anyone knows the present value of this firearm I would appreciate knowing . Thanks , Cliff
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Cliff

It should be a Safety Hammer revolver or Safety Hammerless revolver.
    either way in exc. shape it is worth about $125
    In good shape about $85
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

cliff,
    there is a very good possibility the date you are refering to is found on the bottom of the butt strap. it is a patent date NOV.17.08. this patent date was only used on the third model 'safety automatic hammer/hammerless revolvers' (1909-1941). the main serial number location of this model is on the left side of the grip frame (under the grip panel). if you would like to know when this revolver was manufactured remove the grips and furnish the serial number and letter code found on the left side.
    bill
  4. cliffj

cliffj New Member

Actually the date reads Aug 26 1906 ...and the serial # is stamped on the strap also . It is 57663 no letter code. I don't believe it's ever been fired.At least that's the story that came with it . Thanks for the info , Cliff
  5. cliffj

cliffj New Member

Thanks for the quick answer , Cliff
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

cliff,
    ok, this is a whole new ball game. first there was no patent issued to iver johnson on aug. 26, 1906, there was one dated aug.25 1896 and it is the date of the patent for the hammer the hammer action. this would make this revolver a very early second model (1896-1907) serial number on butt with no letter code indicates manufacture in 1896/1897. all iver johnson's arms & cycle works second models were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and are not suitable for modern ammo. if this revolver has a side latch release lever on the left side of the barrel stop strap it could be a late production first model manufactured late in 1896.
    bill
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  7. wrschroeder( Bill)

wrschroeder( Bill) New Member

I just recieved a I & J 32 cal. break/hammerless blued revolver, ser. # 0 70462. It is missing the cylinder. Is it possible to find a replacement with instructions ?
  8. wrschroeder( Bill)

wrschroeder( Bill) New Member

9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the "O" letter code was used by iver johnson on the small frame second model (1897-1908) safety automatic hammerless revolver in 1905 and 1906. serial number O70462 was manufactured in 1906. this revolver is not safe with modern smokeless ammo. try numrich arms for a cylinder. numrich calls this model a small frame old model hammerless www.e-gunparts.com
    bill
  10. glider

glider New Member

I have Iver Johnson .32 cal. that belonged to my grandfather. Serial number 27088 on the trigger guard. Can someone tell me when the gun was manufactured. It is not in shootable condition at this time.
  11. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

Not enough info. Is it a hammer or hammerless gun? Look under the left grip panel for the complete serial number. There should be a letter preceeding the serial number. A picture always helps with identification.