Iverson Johnson Shotgun safety question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by eddievalentine, Feb 29, 2008.

1. eddievalentine

eddievalentine New Member

Hello everyone,

I have come into possession of an Iverson Johnson "Champion" 12 gauge shotgun, which from what I have read online was manufactured sometime after 1909.. in Fitchburg MA or some place like that

It says something like "Pats. pending 1901 , 1902" on it.. and it does not say 12 gauge anywhere but it measures across as one and I have a couple 12 gauge shells that fit fine in it

My question is, are these modern day shells safe to fire in this old shotgun? and if not, what ammo do i need to get for it?

The gun doesnt even work (firing pin and hammer etc broken ..for now) but when I get it restored I want to be able to shoot it a few times

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the patent date you refer to were only used on iver johnson single barrel shotgun manufactured before 1909. with out seeing a picture i can't be sure exactly wihich model it, but i would suppect it is what collectors call the ring trigger model. any iver johnson single barrel shotgun manufactured before 1909 should not be fired with modern ammo.

i would be able to better identify your shotgun with pictures.
    bill
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008