1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iverson Johnson Shotgun safety question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by eddievalentine, Feb 29, 2008.

1. eddievalentine

eddievalentine New Member

Hello everyone,

I have come into possession of an Iverson Johnson "Champion" 12 gauge shotgun, which from what I have read online was manufactured sometime after 1909.. in Fitchburg MA or some place like that

It says something like "Pats. pending 1901 , 1902" on it.. and it does not say 12 gauge anywhere but it measures across as one and I have a couple 12 gauge shells that fit fine in it

My question is, are these modern day shells safe to fire in this old shotgun? and if not, what ammo do i need to get for it?

The gun doesnt even work (firing pin and hammer etc broken ..for now) but when I get it restored I want to be able to shoot it a few times

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the patent date you refer to were only used on iver johnson single barrel shotgun manufactured before 1909. with out seeing a picture i can't be sure exactly wihich model it, but i would suppect it is what collectors call the ring trigger model. any iver johnson single barrel shotgun manufactured before 1909 should not be fired with modern ammo.

i would be able to better identify your shotgun with pictures.
    bill
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008