ivor johnson

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BETH, Oct 1, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok a buddy of mine just gave me an ivor johnson lever action 22 winchester mag rf think the s/n is 0023 left the last two numbers off this is out of the box never shot is this gun worth anything i don't want to take it if it is worth a lot. It sure is a pretty gun reminds me of a golden boy. does anyone know what it is worth if it is worth a lot i am giving it back to him can't believe he gave it to me
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  3. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Shoot it and enjoy it Beth...
    Very nice friend you have..:cool:

I. J. WAGONMASTER LEVER ACTION, marketed 1985-1990, made in and imported from GERMANY (ERMA), 18 1/2" bbl, .22 rimfire or .22 MAG.; Retail values: 100%/NIB $325 down to Fair/60% $150. Also produced as a JUNIOR model with 16 1/4" barrel; values listed are the same as the regular model.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/iverjohnson_ew22mhbl(erma_eg73).pdf

And give him a hug.....I would :)
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok the guy said pull back the hammer then squeez trigger and back hammer down then i can shoot? He said there was another part or something that i could get for it? Now once i do that i can keeping pulling the trigger to shoot or do i use lever action each time? What about kick from .22mag is there a big difference from a .22lr? Can i get a manual for this?
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what does MHBL MEAN
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Also if it was made in Germany why does it have Winchester on it, i am confused
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:)Winchester ammo, like a Iver Johnson revolver has .38 S&W printed on it. Lever Action, Assuming the magazine is loaded, hammer is at rest on an empty chamber, pushing the lever down will bring a round out of the magazine and cocks the hammer, pulling the lever up,causes the shell to enter the chamber, it is ready to fire. once fired, pushing the lever down will eject the empty brass, recocks the hammer and presents a new round to be chambered. pulling the lever up, will chamber the new round , ready to fire again. Back to the ammo, Winchester developed the 22 Winchester Magnum Rim Fire so they get to name it. the correct name is Winchester.22 WMR regardless of who manufactured the cartridge. Think of the .38 Special, the Correct name is the " Smith and Wesson .38 Special Cartridge". Of course no one uses the whole name any more, just the .38 Special. Just as the Winchester .22WMR is called only the .22 magnum. Backtrack a little, if you have the hammer back with a live round in the chamber and you don't want to fire, hold the Hammer with your thumb, squeeze the trigger and let your thumb ride the hammer down, if you decide to fire, then just use your thumb to re cock the hammer. Of course I don't have to remind you Beth, all this time you have the barrel pointed up and down range for safety reasons. Now if I haven't confused you, you have not been paying attention:)
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok so i load tube push lever down and back up ready to shoot after i shoot lever down and up and ready to shoot right?
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

was looking at ammo soft point ammo never saw that? do i have to use winchester ammo?
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Right, down and up, shoot, down and up, shoot. Any .22 WMR, regardless of who makes it, CCI makes a lot. The reason I stated .22 WMR, there is another cartridge that looks like a short .22 Magnum, don't worry about it, Just make sure it is .standard .22 WMR magnum. I don't thing there is any such thing as soft point .22 Magnum, just hollow point or solid point. very much like regular .22 Long Rifle. The magnum is a small game cartridge, it will take coyote out to a hundred yards ( or wild dogs ), and even a deer at closer range ( but don't, the law frowns on shooting deer with any .22 rim fire ). I really don't find much of anything that my plain old ,22 LR wont work on. I have a very nice Winchester 9422M that I haven't shot in years. Not saying you can't use .22 magnum on small critters such as squirrel or rabbit, a lot of people do, it's just that I find my Marlin 39 will do the job at less cost. Have fun.
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Hey Ron how much more of a kick does .22mag have compared to .22lr
  12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

On a scale of 1 to 10 and 10 being heavy recoil and 1 being very low, I would rate the the 22 LR at 1 and the 22 mag at around 1 and 1/4:)
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

oh cool i can handle that thanks for your help Ron
  14. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You are very welcome, hope the info helped.:)
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

helped a lot knew nothing about the rifle and never used a lever action