Iwo Jima M1 Garand Value?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by OneFatCat, Dec 16, 2009.

1. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

I saw an M1 Garand Iwo Jima edition for sale at my local dealer ...I would like to know what would be consdiered a "good" buy on this rifle and your opinion on whether it will ever be a real collectable ...it does come with everything ...

Thank you
    OFC
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Good Investment? this is a decision only you can make. Me, myself and I do not consider the " Made For" commemorates a very good investment. Most commemorates don't rise in value very fast, some what like the collector plates or the 1894 Winchesters,., In ten years you might get what you paid for it.. Now if you're buying it to look at, to admire, to think how proud it is to be a American., of the blood and sweat of the Marines to capture the island, OK . But it can never be fired. I've seen them on the Auction sites for 1500 to 1750. JMO
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Like Ron said, it can never be fired. It's a "pretty". You can look at it, but if you ever fire it, or scratch it somehow, or ever handle it much so it gets some use marks on it, it goes from being a "collector", worth maybe 12 or 1500, to being a "shooter", worth MUCH less.

A Garand from the CMP is a real Garand, made by the government and issued to someone to fight in a war. It has collector value because of what it is, and you can shoot it and enjoy using it, and as long as you don't abuse it, it will still have collector value. A commemorative Garand is made, recently, by a civilian gun company. The only thing it has going for it is that it is a "commemorative", and it has collector value because of what it pretends to be.

Not only can it never be fired, but to keep its value, you must keep everything that came with it. All the paperwork. The box. If the box came inside an outer sleeve, you must keep the sleeve. If it doesn't have EVERYTHING, its value drops drastically.
  4. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Thank you guys for the information ...let me ask you waht to look for when you look at a used Garand ...I know the condtion obviously but what are some of the markings that I need to see to make sure I'm buying the "real McCoy ...and any other advise you can give me on value of a clean shooter?

Thank you
    OFC
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Fat Cat - look into the M1 Garands at the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). You can bet they are the Real McCoy and are probably a little cheaper than at gun stores, etc. If you meet the eligibility requirements, this is just about the only place that can send a gun to your front door legally.

http://www.thecmp.org/