The Firearms Forum banner

J.C. Higgins Model 20 12 Gauge

11K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  SGVictor 
#1 ·
having troubles uploading pics.Does anyone know how to get the P
ump off?

#4 ·
O.K. I think I got it figured out.(pics That is) Can any one tell mr where to find #ss#?
Its not worth much I don't think (Couple hundred, maybe). Father gave it to me about 20 yrs ago,and my brothers had it untill last week. I don't think its had a good cleaning in 20+ yrs.Took it shooting last week and turns out my freind had the exact duplicate of my gun, except he has the "long range" choke, while mine has the "short range " choke. Any way, nice shooter.

Attachments

#5 ·
Sounds like your gun has the Cutts compensater on the muzzle with interchangeable chokes. I'll look thru my shotgun stuff and see if I have a 'long range' choke and I'll get back with you. Like you I got my mod 20 from my dad upon his passing.:cool:

#8 ·
It is not a High Standard model 200. The Numrich cross reference is wrong. The 583.60 is from the mid 1950's and the Model 200 did not appear until the mid 60's There were several different design series in between.

The compensator/choke system is the Powers-Pachmyer Power-Pac and is not related to the Cutts system. The power-pad had the tuned mostly in side teh compensator while the Cutts had it downstream of the compensator. Sometimes the Power-Pac gets plastic wads hung up on the entrance to the choke tube.

Choke tubes came in three different degrees of choke and were called long range, medium range and short range.

I have seen the tubes sold on GB and eBay.

There si no serial number. High Stadanrd did not serialize shotguns until January 1969 except for exported guns, some made for police departments, and teh model 10-series A

If it was made in December 1956 or later, there will be an assembly date code on the barrel just forward of the receiver.

#10 ·
SGVICTOR
Seems like there are two types of Power Pac chokes. One style has three lengths of chokes with the short range being the shortest. The other choke style seems to have all three choke ranges same length dimensionally. Don't know which style came first, and maybe the second style was to overcome the problem of wads getting hung. Any thoughts on this?

#9 ·
need help getting the pump off. Took the action all apart to give it a good cleaning and was unable to get the pump actio out of the reciever.Took the wooden foregrip off but was still getting a SPRINGYY(??) feeling while trying to take it off.Didn't want to break anythingso I worked around it. Found a video on Youtube but doesn't show this disassembly clearly..Feels likev theirs a stop and a spring in the action, but was not able to see anything.
Got any ideas???

#12 ·
SGVICTOR
Seems like there are two types of Power Pac chokes. One style has three lengths of chokes with the short range being the shortest. The other choke style seems to have all three choke ranges same length dimensionally. Don't know which style came first, and maybe the second style was to overcome the problem of wads getting hung. Any thoughts on this?
POWer-PAC chokes were the creation of E. Baden Powell and Frank Pachmayr and originally produced by the Pachmayr Gun Works in Los Angeles.

Sears licensed the design from Pachmayr for production by High Standard on the various shotgun designs that High Standard produce exclusively for Sears.

Wads getting hung up is a more recent problem with the shot cup plastic wads. When these chokes were produced, the wads were felt for filler and and heavy card stock for the nitro card wad and the over shot card on roll crimp shells. The old style wads did not have the wad hanging up problem of the newer wads.

Note that eventually they made an adjustable finger collet choke for the compensator.

Note this is an old post from March 2013

#13 ·
According to all the books I have this is a High standard 200.
This is from the blue book and 4 others not parts places but reference books.
Mike
The reason that 4 books all have the same thing is that several people are using the same data that originated with Numrich. The Blue Book clearly gives credit to Numrich and since you did not provide the other sources I cannot say whether or not they credited their source.

There are a number of variations of the Sears Model 20 ( 583.53 through 583.2051) which began with High Standard model HS2. All the High Standard manufactured Sears Model 20 pumps began in 1947 with the the HS2 which was designed by Fred Humeston who left Winchester right after Winchester applied for the patents for the .30 carbine for which he holds most of the several patents. This design evolved over time and in 1960 High Standard began producing a variation under their own name. The Model 200 was a later development after the Models 20 had been discontinued. It was a less expensive variation of the Flite King shotgun. Some simple parts were common through out most of the production era of these guns but every variation had some different parts and or features.

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sears/pashotguns/1077D150R.pdf

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/hpashotguns/1126D150R.pdf

Numrich's cross reference omits a lot of Store brand High Standard models including those for Sears. In some cases the cross references for Sears High Standard guns are self contradictory. and in almost all cases they do not deal with all the variations within the basic model name or number even though they have some different parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.