J.C. Higgins Model 21 20-gauge

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Victor L., Jul 8, 2009.

1. Victor L.

Victor L. New Member

I have a J.C. Higgins Model 21 20-gauge pump that I'm trying to find out about when it was made. It has a vented rib on the 26" barrel, is a really sweet shooting little shotgun, and the only thing even remotely like a serial # on it is "Sears, Roebuck and Co. 583.2076". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Welcome to TFF Victor,

The 583.2076 is a number Sears gave the gun in addition to the Model number of 21. Sears had weird numbers like that which contained decimal points. Don't ask me why.

My cross-over information doesn't list that exact number, but I'm fairly confident that your gun was made for Sears by either High Standard or H&R. The numbers 583.2078 and 2079 were, in fact, High Standard products.

We will need a couple of photos to be sure:

Click "Go Advanced" (below)

Click "Manage Attachments" on the page that opens

Click "Browse" to find the photos on your hard drive. Then upload.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  3. Victor L.

Victor L. New Member

I'll post a few pictures of it when my wife gets back from Atlanta
    in a couple of days, (she's got the digital camera with her). Thanks
    for your help.
  4. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The Model 21 was made by High Standard. The Sears ID number gives the source, the model and variation. 583 is the code for High Standard.

Your model was probably made after High Standard began putting assembly date codes on the long guns so if you can find the assembly date code ( two upper case letters on the barrel just forward of the receiver) we can probably date the gun with some precision.

This gun is probably in the first few years of the 1960's.
  5. Victor L.

Victor L. New Member

The letters GF are on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver, with a star above the letters. The very early '60s sounds about right since I remember my dad telling me that he'd gotten it when I was still a little kid. Thank you.
  6. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

GF is July 1962.
  7. Victor L.

Victor L. New Member

I appreciate you running this down for me as this is the only gun that was left from my dad's collection. Thanks again.
  8. celifers

celifers New Member

First off, this is my first post. It's a spur-of-the-moment thing.

I have been looking for weeks trying to find info on this gun. My grandmother gave me a Sears and Roebuck Ted Williams model 21-20 Gauge shotgun just a few weeks ago. I couldn't find anything on it... Just earlier I found a good lead on imfdb.com saying that a Ted Williams 12ga was used in the movie The Punisher. From there, I learned the Ted williams is just sort of an aesthetics upgrade to the JC Higgins model. I took that and searched JC Higgins 20 ga, and now I'm here rambling to you people!

The thing that caught my attention most, though, are the serial numbers Contenderizer mentioned. 583.2078 is my shotgun. It was strange to run across such a specific bit of info on my personal gun. The two letter assembly date code on mine is KF. There is a circumscribed X above the letters.

The main bit of information I'm looking for now is how to extend the mag capacity, if possible. Right now, it holds two shells. I know there's room for more in there, so is there a plug or something I can remove? Furthermore, are there any extensions for this gun? A tube to extend capacity to, say, seven or eight? I haven't been able to open it up yet because there is, what seems to be, a Torx screw holding the cap on there. Usually I'd pop that little peg out of a Tork screw and use a star bit (this is how I modify game contollers) but I don't have anything long and slender enough to fit down that narrow hole to get the leverage I need... I would also like to put a high-powered flashlight on there, too.

You guys taught me so much about this gun and answered so many questions that you didn't even know I had asked...
  9. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Google "High Standard Model 20" and I think you'll see the same gun. Numrich gun parts should have a schematic for it--should be able to figure out from there how to remove that plug. I'm sure someone here can help you.
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

11. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The Model 200 was only available in 12 Gauge and was a cheap sears gun that was not made until after Sears stopped buying pump shotguns from High Standard.

It is also not the same as the model 20. The model 20 had a tilting bole lock-up and the model 21 has a locking plunger.

This is more like the High Standard 20 gauge in the K-200 design series. Here is a link to a 583.2079 Sears 20 gauge.

The instructions would be identical but the parts might vary a little from yours.
    Instructions for removing the plug in in this document.

KF is October 1962.

I know of no magazine extension kits for this model.

If you have a Torx Screw, it is not original to the gun. Only the security version of a Trox screw had a pin in the center.

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sears/pashotguns/1071D150R.pdf
  12. tbeek

tbeek New Member

Sears Ted Williams Model 21 20gauge

I have a Sears Ted Williams Model 21, 20gauge shotgun.
    The serial number? is 583.2080
    There is a proof mark? that looks like an upside-down mushroom next to two letters for the date code: GJ (or possibly GU).
    When was it made?
    What else can you tell me about my gun?
  13. dcriner

dcriner Member

tbeek, you hi-jacked the thread. Start a new one, please.
  14. tbeek

tbeek New Member

Sorry,
    When searching for answers, I learned almost everything I was looking for from the discussion in this thread, such as who made the gun for Sears...
    Thats why I replied to this thread.
    I will start a new thread as requested.