J Cooper Double barrell shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jarhead Dave, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Jarhead Dave

Jarhead Dave New Member

Hi there I recently aquired a double barrell duel trigger shotgun..i helped an old women move out of her house and she didnt want it around in her new place due to grand baby's. i looked it over and noticed what looked like j cooper on the side. can anyone tell me anything about this weapon? what its worth maybe? thanks s/f
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jarhead,
    Welcome to the forum. Your sXs shotgun may be worth anywhere from $25 for a parts gun to over a grand. Value depends upon condition, origin (who, where and when it was actually made) and some other factors.
    Post some in focus pics if possible, including the bottoms of the barrels and the watertable showing any markings, sides of receiver/frame and anything stamped on the barrels. If you can't post pics - describe what you see in the above places, then describe the condition of the metal and furniture (0% finish to 100%)- stock: not broken, checkered, no scratches, original butt plate, etc.
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Remove the barrels and tell us what marks are hidden under the breech end.
    If there's an ELG in an oval with crown, it was made in Belgium for export sometime after 1892.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

We need pictures of the gun and also of the marks on the bottom of the barrel and on the watertable (the flat part of the frame where the barrels sit).

There were gunmakers named J. Cooper in both England and the U.S.

Jim