J-Frame Laser Grips

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Slimslam, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Crimson Trace or Laser Max J-Max for a S & W 642...

I need advice which is the best for this specific revolver and why....:eek:

Thanks in advance!
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

just a opinion mind you. though laser sight grips are "cute" and seem to be all the rage. the fact remains a j frame is a belly gun. past 7 yards laser sight or not you'll be hard pressed to group well. if you're looking for dead nuts on get a bigger gun/longer barrel. ok i know there are going to be more than a few that feel differently, and i warned you it was just a opinion.
  3. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

Actually, a short barrel is not necessarily less accurate than a long barrel. The reason it is so hard to get the short barrel to group as well is because the sight radius is so short. A laser sight on a snubbie makes it MUCH easier to shoot a tight group because you do not have to aim with such a short sight radius... I have personally witnessed a 2-inch barrel S&W shoot about a 3-inch group at 30 yards with a Crimson Trace laser grip attached. Not saying that just anyone could repeat that feat... but anyone would hard pressed to repeat it using just iron sights.
  4. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

Oh, and as far as a recommendation I am only familiar with the Crimson Trace... I have not personally handled the Laser Max. I like the Crimson Trace though, as long as you get the rubberized version. The original was hard plastic (they still offer it that way) and I just didn't like the way it felt in my hand. It was almost like the edges were too sharp or something. The rubber feels nice though, and the longer version gives me a place to put my pinky. I'd like to try the shorter rubberized version though to see how it compares.
  5. redrick

redrick New Member

Crimson makes 3 different sized grips for the J frame. It just depends if you are going to pocket carry, which one is the best.
    LG 305 is the standard one that S&W uses on the J frames, it is the largest one, and most comfortable one to shoot 357's and +p's.
    LG 405 is a compact model, it is made of rubber like the 305, but does not cover the whole back strap like the 305 and is shorter, would be OK for pocket carry.
    LG 105 is about the same size as the 405, it is made of hard smooth polymer and the whole back strap is exposed like the factory grips are on the 642. It would be best for pocket carry because it would come out of your pocket quicker with the grips being made out of the smooth polymer material it would not drag like rubber. but it would be the most uncomfortable ones to shoot with. They cost about a $100 less than the others.