J. Manton and Sons 20 ga.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by piski, Jan 2, 2007.

1. piski

piski New Member

Another one for you guys to help me out with. Looking for any and all info available on this rather old shotgun my Grandfather handed down to me many moons ago. I haven't been able to find much if any info on my own...nor a current value. It's a J. Manton and Sons 20 ga. double barrel. Pictures follow. I was told at one time this was an old Damascus barrel percussion cap which was drilled and tapped to accept firing pin assemblies ???

Attached Files:

2. piski

piski New Member

does anyone know where i might find this info ??
  3. Goody

Goody Member

I don't know where you can find info, but the story of being a percussion gun doesn't hold water. A gun that was originally set up as a muzzle loader would not break open in the middle. Only a shotgun that was made from the getgo to be a breach loader would be made this way.

I believe that this is probably a "Trade Gun". J Manton was probably the name of a hardware store in the 1880-1910 period. Anyone that ordered X number of guns could have their names put on them by the distributor.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Joseph Manton did business in London, for many years, maybe still does.
    A friend of mine, Jon Thomas, can be reached at www.armsport.com, in Midland Tx, and may be able to make an informed guess about price.
    Off the top of my head, I would expect it to be a $750-1000 shotgun, damascus, or fluid steel barrels, more, if tight.
    This is certainly NOT a 'trade gun', but the work of a known, and respected maker; don't give it away!!
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Joseph Manton may have done business in London, but this "J. MANTON & SONS" is a Belgian knockoff.

Note the Belgian Proofmarks ("ELG" & others) on the underside of the barrel.

I believe Goody has given you the correct answer.
  6. Goody

Goody Member

Yea, like the W. Richards that I bought for 50 dollars, produced to confuse people with another well known and highly respected maker in London, Westley Richards.There were all kinds of "almost the same " name shotguns put out.

Kind of like the guitars I see occasionally in pawn shops. Someone takes a $75 dollar POS, puts Gibson, Martin, Fender or the one I see most often, Paul Reed Smith on the headstock and the poor kid behind the counter loans 400-500 on it. The good shops take their lumps, mark it as a knockoff, and get what they can. The others, well "BUYER BEWARE".