J.P. Sauer & Sohn Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ckerley, Nov 14, 2009.

1. ckerley

ckerley New Member

I am looking for any information I can get related to this single shot J.P. Sauer & Sohn pistol I just bought from a friend of mine. I have included a picture of the pistol.
    Thanks...

Attached Files:

2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

High quality looking pistol,

But if it is a short barrel shotgun,(smooth bore) and accepts shot shells, it is illegal to own with out ATF exemption papers. One way ticket to "club fed" for a decade or so. You might want to reconsider your purchase, and give it back, or turn it in to law enforcement. Shame, as it looks to be very old, and very nice.

Regards, Kirk
  3. ckerley

ckerley New Member

Kirk,

Thanks for the input. It is actually a ~32 caliber single shot pistol with set trigger and a tip-up action. The only markings on the gun are the "J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl" and the typical German proofing marks with the crown B and crown U, serial number 110XXX. Based upon the loop ring attached to the stock I am guessing it was used in some sort of shooting gallery. It is in very good condition both visually and mechanically. I am looking for information such as the history, model number and approximate age of this firearm. I have done an extensive search on the internet and visited several antique gun dealers with no luck so far.

ckerley
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Glad to know it's not a smooth bore...:D

I have an extensive library of old gun references and your pistol is not mentioned in any of them. But I have found many guns of this patteren in the 1911 "Arms of the World" catalog I have. It seems pistols of this type were some what common back then, as many single shot break open pistos are listed there, just no the Sauer & Sohn. I think you are right about it having been made for "gallery" type shooting, as even then revolvers and semi auto's were available. Just a guess on my part, but if it were mine I would be thinking of a value of no less than $1,000. I know to some this may sound a bit rich, but the very high quality just oozes out of the photo's you supplied.;):) It may be worth more....Perhaps another member here can find something more for you. Very NICE pistol, and as the say, they don't make them like they used to!! Sorry I cann't be of more help, and thanks for your post and pictures.

Best regards, Kirk
  5. fishhead

fishhead New Member

Have you found out anything more about your pistol? Do you still own it? I've inherited two similar ones and am doing research. Your post came up in a web search. I'd appreciate anything you'd care to pass on.

consecutive serial #s 53XXX

Attached Files:

6. fishhead

fishhead New Member

Found this, though it appears to be older than either of ours.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/J-P-SAUER-UL-TARGET-PISTOL.cfm?gun_id=100249610

SER# 44XXX, circa 1892-93. A very rare find. J. P. Sauer side hammer, snap action, UL, target single shot pistol with exc bore in caliber 7x38R "R.P." Tesching, (see pg 78-79 Dixon's book Euro Sptg Cart.) with chamber cast included. Full oct 9" barrel, single set trigger, dovetailed small post front sight and key adjustable elevation rear sight. Pistol is in excellent condition retaining 98% blue and wood finish, 40+% case colors, crisp original checkering on grip & schnable tipped, pinned fore end. A very rare and beautiful Sauer.

I can't load a pic from the gunsinternational site, sorry.
  7. sharps4590

sharps4590 Active Member

First of all what a gorgeous set of pistols, both the original post and the second. Having become a German gun nut I appreciate seeing all of them, thank you for posting and forgive me for being a bit envious in a good way.

I'm fairly certain most snap actions predate 1900. By then the Anson & Deely type of boxlocks were very well ensconced. All three of the pre-1900 actions were fairly well on the way out, the Lefaucheux, the Jones underlever and these snap actions.

I have no idea as to value of any other than to agree with 300 and consider $1000.00 a minimum...and that all of them simply ooze quality. Congratulations to both of you guys for such fine acquisitions.
  8. fishhead

fishhead New Member

Sharps

Thanks for the response, waiting to see if the original poster, ckerley, checks back in and notices this, his post was from '09.

I can't take credit for the find, they came from a deceased uncle and I never really got the story. I think he got them when he was tending bar in Butte MT while attending the school of mines there in the 50's. My dad has alzheimers and he can't remember either.

I'm grateful to have them, quite the workmanship.