J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl cal. 7,65

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Chip4par, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Chip4par

Chip4par New Member

My wife got this weapon from her father:
    J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl cal. 7,65
    -Serial # is 311553.
    -On the front left section of the trigger guard is an eagle over top a circle with what looks like an x maybe and a C just to the right of the circle.
    -On the right side behind the top of the grip is another eagle on top of an N.
    -The word PATENT is on the right side of the slide and J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl cal. 7,65 is on the left side of the slide.
    -The grips are black checkered plastic with the SuS on both.
    -On the bottom of the magazine plate is the SuS CAL.7,65.
    - 2 magazines

There is a black leather holster with the ser # of the weapon on it and pouch for spare magazine. Sadly :(, my father-in-law also punched his name(LEE) on the flap along with the number 765.

Any information would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Sauer 38H german pistol made for Nazi Police around 1941...
    Given the condition of the gun and the holster, I would estimate a retail value of about $450 if the grips are not broken...
  3. Danny

Danny Member

Hello Chip,
    U have a nice rig there , even though the pistol rates 80% in condition. You have a type 2 38h police and it has the checkered mag release button , which makes it a little more valuable the ones with the plain button , like mine.
    You need to get some of the rust & dirt removed & the best way to do this is to apply some Hopps bore cleaner to all the metal ,avoiding the grips. Let it sit awhile and then take some 0000 steel wool & rub so gently to remove any rust. It will also give the weapon a polished look.
    As a collector, I have a 38h rig just as yours. The two mags are worth 300 dollars, the holster is correct & should fetch 150, more if it did not have the holes punched in it.
    I would venture to say 700 for the complete rig.
    You have a pistol that was manufactured before its time , with the cocker & decocker lever system that made it so neat from the other 32cal handguns the Nazis were using. Keep it cleaned & oiled and hold on to it as it will grow in value. These pistols are tough, so do not be afraid to shoot it if you so desire.
    Kindest Regards
    Danny:)
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  4. Chip4par

Chip4par New Member

Thanks guys for the information. It was a big help. And now I've got my brother-in-law all interested as well.

I'll clean 'er up, keep 'er clean and, if I can find some 7.65, might even take it to the range.

Again...Thanks
    :)
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

FWIW, 7.65 Browning is the European name for what we call the .32 ACP. You should be able to find some at any well stocked gun shop or sporting goods store.

Jim
  6. duck32man

duck32man Member

Danny - I have one with the white franzite grips and an unstamped, flap holster. Is there a database for serial number dates? Mine has an unstamped magazine that I was told was original to the gun. Is it true that the later models did not have the SuS stamped on the mags?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  7. Chip4par

Chip4par New Member

Thanks Jim - my father-in-law attempted to fire .32 and it jammed every try. Now this was about 1980 and I don't recall what brand or designation the shells were, but I am a little leery about .32cal. I reallly hate clearing jams!
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I can't guarantee the pistol will work with any ammo, but there are several cartridges in the general grouping of .32 caliber. The correct one for that gun is called .32 ACP or .32 Auto. Other .32's won't work.

Jim
  9. Danny

Danny Member

Hello,
    Your 38h is the type 4. It has a zinc trigger & the rough finish & mill marks show how fast the company was putting them out. I would date it around 1943, but really need the sn to get an accurate date on this fine gun.
    Yes you are correct about the mags not having the inter twinned SS logo, and they still used zinc as a bottom plate.
    The holster could pass for a variety of the small handguns used by the Nazis, so I would say your pistol is correct , except for the grips. There is where the problem is, you cannot find these anywhere and when found, be prepared to pay big bucks for them. Hope this info helps you some?
    Kind Regards
    Danny
    PS: I forgot to ask you if this was an eagle c police pistol or a eagle 37 army , as the police sell for more.
  10. duck32man

duck32man Member

Danny - Thanks for the info. I'm still learning about this one. The only marks on it are what I believe are the nitro proof stamp. Serial # is 41xxx. Shoots great. Thanks again.
  11. the guns history

the guns history New Member

i live in a small town in gun barrel city TX
    Danny - could you please find out about my gun its a Sauer & Sohn, Suhl cal. 7,65 SN is 220905 my grandfather left it to me and i would just like to find out about it :)

[​IMG]
  12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

From the grips and safety, it looks like the 1926 Export Model ????. 1926 to 1929
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  13. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Rjay, I think the curved grips make it a Model 1930, or a Behorden Model (Behorden means "Official" or "Authorized" in German). There is a good, if lengthy, description of various pre-war Sauer 32's here:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/S-S13-30/s-s13-30.html

It says that the lack of a safety-plunger on the face of the trigger makes it a 1930. An author named Gordon Bruce wrote a very good article on all these pistols in Issue 1, 2010 of "Gun Collector" magazine (aka "Man at Arms"). BTW, thanks for putting up a photo, "the guns history" - you can see, it would have been impossible to tell you about your particular gun without one.

These were very good pistols, well made, compact and reliable, although they were not as modern as the double action Walther PP 32.

Your photo makes it look like your gun is sound but has no finish at all. Both the Model 1930 and the Behorden Model are scarce compared to the preceding (Model 1913 & 1926) and following (Model 38H) Sauer pistols, so they are of interest to collectors.

Thirty plus years ago, Sauer was not as famous as Walther and Mauser even though their guns were of equal quality, so for many years their pistols were not as heavily collected. Since then, because of the high prices of WWII Walther and Mauser pistols, and the increasing popularity of the SIG-Sauer line of pistols, they have attraced much more attention.

BTW, your gun takes 32 Automatic ammunition. It is also called 32 ACP, and is called 7.65mm Browning in Europe. It is still readily available today. The website I linked to has instructions for taking these pistols apart for cleaning.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  14. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You are of course right, with the trigger and double S gripes it does appear to be a Behorden. Now I wonder if the barrel is marked is NIROSTA and if a magnet will stick to the frame?
  15. sharps4590

sharps4590 Active Member

I thought I recognized that pistol but it wasn't until duckman pictured his. I have the same pistol only with a kind of stag grips. I bought it from a WWII vet, a fellow electrician, who went in the day after D-Day and was there til the end. Charlie, now deceased, told me "Vic, I took that pistol from a dresser drawer in an upstairs bedroom of a bombed out house in Germany in 1945". Charlie had no sons and only one daughter who never married and he was kind enough to offer it to me for a pittance, $100.00. I always thought it was a Sauer but wasn't certain, now I now. Thanks from me also. to all of you. Oh, mine has a brown leather holster but no extra magazines. It appears to definitely be war production given all the tool marks. It functions flawlessly and is fairly accurate!.