1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

J.P. SAUER & SOHN, SUHL

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 5houghs, Nov 24, 2008.

1. 5houghs

5houghs New Member

I have what appeares to be a 22 centerfire rifle. The markings on the top of the barrel read "J.P. SAUER & SOHN, SUHL". The photos give the rest of the info. Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

I do not know what it is worth, but it is of very good quality,:D and will probably shoot 22 Hornet loads. Before the 1928 time frame, this round was called 22 Winchester cernterfire. When it became the 22 Hornet it was souped up a good bit as the old round was loaded with black pwder. Check the bore of your rifle and see what kind of shape it is in. The reciever sight is of much later manufacture, suggesting to me that some one has shoot it in more modern times, probably with 22 Hornet ammo. the action and barrel have a lot of steel surrounding the chamber, and at least in my mind it is plenty strong enough to handle modern 22 Hornet loads. This is really a neat piece, and the more I look at it, the more the drool starts forming in my mouth!:p I will be watching to see what kind of value someone with more knowledge that I will put on it. Just a guess, but I would say on the far side of grand, or two, if it were mine! What is the story, and how did you aquire this fine old rifle? Any history that comes with it? A VERY respected maker by the way, and anything with factory double set triggers, is just plain classy! Wish I had a value for you, but I can compliment you on your fine rifle.;):D:D Best reguards Kirk
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

After a bit if research,

It might well be what is known as a Sauer & Sohn "Tell" model. I found one in a larger caliber. It is for sale at $950 at a site called "Guns international" Looks very similar to your rifle other than it has German claw mount scope bases. I hope this helps. Best regards Kirk
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008