J. Stevens .32 caliber long rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Walter485, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Walter485

Walter485 New Member

I have a single shot, .32 caliber J. Stevens rifle. There is a wing nut which allows the barrel to be removed. It has a rear peep sight. The markings on the barrel are "J. Stevens A&T Company Chicopee Falls, Mass USA Pat Apr 1794" on the other side it says "32-Long". The butt plate says "Stevens Favorite". The serial number, which is located on the stock beneath the curve of the lever is "N939".

I've seen one other rifle which appeared identical to this one except it was a .22 caliber and was told this rifle came with interchangeable .22 and .32 caliber barrels.

I would be very interested in learning anything else available about this rifle, i.e. era of manufacture, type of ammunition, did this weapons actually have an interchangeable .22 caliber barrel, correct description of the condition of the weapon based on the attached photos, estimated value, etc.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Attached Files:

2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The .32 is a centerfire cartridge, and .22 is rimfire. Unless the gun has dual firing pins there is no way the conversion would work.
    Not sure, but I think these guns were dedicated caliber rifles.
  3. Walter485

Walter485 New Member

Thanks for that info Bill.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The 32 Long Center Fire was introduced in 1875 in a number of light frame single shot rifles. " Some of these were constructed so both rim fire and center fire cartridges ammunition could be used by changing firing pin or hammer " whether this means 32 rim fire or 22 rim fire, I don't know.
    Cartridges of the World.:)
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  5. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Wow, Bill made a mistake ... very unusual.

Actually there was a 32 Extra Short, 32 Short, 32 Long, 32 Long Rifle and a 32 Extra Long, all being rim-fire and all currently obsolete. These date back to the S&W Model 1-1/2 and Model 2, which started the whole 32 rim-fire thingy (circa 1870). According to Cartridges of the World, 10th Edition, the 32 Long was available in Stevens rifles until 1936.

I do, however, agree with Bill on the multi-barrel matter as I have never heard of that feature (though I admit I haven't heard of everything) on a Stevens. While the screw under the barrel is for removing the barrel, this is a "take-down" feature for ease of transportation.

I don't know enough about Stevens to tell you what model you have, so I won't speculate on value. 32 rim-fire ammo was being made for Navy Arms and might be available on a very limited basis through them.
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Umm, Bill didn't make a mistake.
  7. Walter485

Walter485 New Member

Thanks for your in sights. Can anyone help me determine what model this might be?

I found the following website http://www.geocities.com/c-thunderer/STEVENSRIFLES.html

I'm thinking this might be the Model 1894 but I'm not sure if it is #18 or #19. Or am I completely off? The descriptions provided there are below:

No. 18: Half round/ half octogon barrel Fitted with Beach combo
    frontsight, leaf rear sight and a vernier tang sight.
    No. 19: Half round/ half octagon barrel. Fitted with Lyman front sight,
    leaf rear sight and Lyman tang sight.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the "Beach combo and Lyman front sight" and the "vernier tang sight and the Lyman tang sight"?

Additionally, on the back of the base of the rear sight the following markings appear (or at least I believe they are as follows): "Pat Jan 29 79 May 68" A portion of those markings are visible in the attached photographs.

I have also attached a photo of the markings on the butt plate.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

8. NoZombies

NoZombies New Member

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd answer some of the OP's questions, in case he's still reading and wants to know.

The caliber is .32 rimfire long, and was known generically as ".32 long".

The front sight on the gun is a Beach's combination sight and the tang sight is a lyman #1 tang sight. you may or may not have noticed, there is a folding aperture in the tang sight.

The front sight is likely original to the gun, with the rear sight being a replacement. But there's no way to tell for sure, and the Beach's sight was also a popular aftermarket addition. There were some guns that were ordered with different combinations of sights, and everything on the gun may be just as it left the factory.

The guns were manufactured in .22 long rifle shot (smooth bore), .22 long rifle, .22 WRF(? I've read, but never seen an example), .25 stevens, .32 rimfire short (marked 32 short) .32 rimfire long (marked .32 long) and .32 rimfire shot (smooth bore) not all calibers were manufactured simultaneously.

As far as I know these guns were never made in a CF caliber from the factory. the larger model 44 actions, and the much stronger model 44 1/2 actions were available in some CF calibers.

Barrels are not interchangeable between calibers, as the breach block is different and would need to be changed as well.

Hope that helps.
  9. countryboy

countryboy New Member

I also have a J. Stevens 32 long,wondering rough estimate of value,and or any other info on it would be great.Interested in in some of the marking on it,trying to figure out when it was made. patent april 17 94,I no 1794 isnt when it was made,the 17 and 94 are spaced close but not together.Also has A & T after stevens.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  10. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It will be impossible to pin-point date of your Favorite, as approximately a million were made 1890s-1939.
    The April 17, 1894 patent date is often misread because Stevens abbreviated the year. Condition and model can't be judged without clear photos, but Flayderman's guide lists value of a standard model in Very Good condition as $250.

The A & T was an abbreviation for Stevens Arms and Tool Co.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  11. Joseph larsen

Joseph larsen New Member

Where might one locate a firing pin for the .32 caliber SHOT smooth bore ???????????????????????????????????
  12. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014