J. Stevens 410 Shotgun - UNFINDABLE!!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TheHag, Oct 28, 2011.

1. TheHag

TheHag New Member

I have an UNFINDABLE 410 breakdown single-shot Stevens shotgun. I would love to learn as much as possible about my gun!!!

Here are the locations and words/numbers everywhere on the shotgun. Hope it helps!!! :)

Top/Left of Barrel past breakdown hinge:
    BARREL AND LUG FORGED IN ONE PIECE

Left Side Action:
    STEVENS
    THE FULL
    GAURANTEED
    SINGLE GUN
    * ( Hand stamp??? )

Right Side Action:
    J. STEVENS ARMS COMPANY
    CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. U.S.A.
    ---MADE IN U.S.A.---
    * There's an inverted "triangle" @ 3/8" above the "J" in J. Stevens. Another hand stamp??

Under Front Walnut Grip: (in 3 places....2 in metal)
    Either "807 LR" or "LR 807"
    * It is etched/engraved BOTH ways

*** There are NO other numbers, letters, or manufactured markings ANYWHERE on the gun, with the exception of the butt-plate, which has the capital letter "S" STEVENS logo. If you want pictures, please just ask, and I will respond quickly. Thanks!!!
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

The J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. name was changed to J. Stevens Arms Co. in 1916, so one of many made 1916-1940s, maybe ca. 1920s with the "Barrel & Lug ---" marking.

Many were also sold with various brand names by hardware stores, etc.
  3. TheHag

TheHag New Member

I don't care much about it's value because I have no intention of selling......but is there ANY other info. you could share? I.E. no pat./ser. #'s. Why? It looks like nickle...as opposed to other used metals at the time. How do I know? Why can't I find that 807 LR model ANYWHERE I look? Was it unpopular, or is it rare.....( you said 1 of MANY made). Where can I find more info.? Even you experts get ur info SOMEWHERE! :) Thanks for ur trouble!!
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

any pictures
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The 807LR would be a serial number, not a model number, and there are no known serial number records. They were inexpensive utility grade shotguns, and are not considered collector items, so no in depth studies have been done, books written, etc.
  6. TheHag

TheHag New Member

Your help has been much-appreciated and informative! Thanks for the "Welcome", and your time!
  7. TheHag

TheHag New Member

Yes!! Where do I send them....or do I upload and attach to this? ( New here)
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hit "POST REPLY" ( on the lower left )

see where it says managae attachments , go there a pop up will open and select your pic's from your PC and upload

Welcome !
  9. TheHag

TheHag New Member

Sure hope these photos can help!! If more are needed, or they need to be better quality, I will take new ones.
  10. BrianFD

BrianFD New Member

I'd like to know if you have received any answers because it appears that I have the exact same gun!
    My grandmother and grandfather used to hunt on horseback probably nearly 100 years ago. My grandmother loved her Stevens .410 single-shot and claimed many a rabbit and pheasant with it! She handed it down to me when I turned 16 years old, some 44 years ago.
    It needs more than a little work, I'm afraid. The ejector doesn't eject, and the metal has a little rust. The barrel needs blued and the stock and forearm are pretty well beat up. But still, I'd like to know if you have any responses.
    Thanks,
    Brian
  11. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just scroll up.
  12. Fatstrat

Fatstrat Active Member

What he says is true. Lack of detailed info is a ongoing problem to all gun collectors interested in vintage Stevens firearms.
    1st, as utility grade guns, they weren't well documented to begin with. Then there was fire in the early 1900's at the Stevens factory that destroyed many records. Then Stevens sold out to Savage. Then in the late 1960's Savage sold to someone else. Who reportedly dumped many records in effort to distance themselves from liability on guns not made under their control.
    About the best you do on old Stevens is often get "horseshoes close".
  13. gumbylovesguns

gumbylovesguns New Member

have a pal who owns a nickel plate 410 stevens the full pistol
    so now id really like to know what if any pistols you have seen out there
    it was clearly made this way,,and is not an long shotgun made into pistol form
    but rather is as it was made,,is a takedown style with proper forearm piece

just curious if anyone could shed light on this new mystery to the stevens
    i was told by someone i know that many years ago they were at a firearm auction and they claim they saw a pistol like im describing except it was a blued finish ,,not nickel

thanks for your time,,
    gumby
  14. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Stevens did make a " Off - Hand " shotgun pistol in 1929 to 1934. It does fall under the NFA guide lines, which means it needs to be papered. The Stevens pistol is written as " not well made" Iver Johnson, Crescent and H&R also made shotgun pistols during the same time period.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  15. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

If it's a takedown design with a forend as you say, it's not the Stevens "Auto-Shot" pistol:

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Manu...un Pistol/410 Single-Shot Shotgun Pistol.html

However, H&R made a "Handy Gun" .410 pistol with a foreend.

But both of above are illegal to own unless registered during the 1968 amnesty period or before, and unregistered guns can not be registered now.