J Stevens A&T co 22 long rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sbirr, Feb 23, 2008.

1. sbirr

sbirr New Member

I have a 22 long rifle single shot lever action rolling block style rifle which is marked USA PAT. April 1794 S.N.629. Can you tell me anything about this gun?
  2. johninohio

johninohio New Member

Did you find out anything yet? I have a similar rifle, S/N D 833, and have been on the web for an hour or so and yours is the first mention of one I found.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi John.....welcome to TFF.

Does your Stevens .22 look similar to this?

http://www.savagearms.com/30g.htm

The picture shown is a new release of the old Stevens "Favorite", various models of which were made from 1893 to 1939.

If you can post some clear, sharp pictures, full length, both right and left sides, we can probably identify which model it is, and give you some more info on it.

Also, please tell us all of the writing on it, exactly as it's written.
  4. johninohio

johninohio New Member

Thanks for thequick reply. The rifle I have is similar to the new model, but there are some obvious differences. Sights are fixed, and forarm appears to be a little smaller. There is a brass diamond (no initials) on one side of the stock near the grip. Barrel is part octagon, up to end of forarm, and round from there to muzzle. Writing is as follows:
    On bottom tang: D 839
    On top of barrel in front of receiver: J. STEVENS A & T CO.
    CHEOPEE FALLS MASS USA PAT APR 1794

On left side of barrel: 22-LONG RIFLE

Stock is in reasonably good condition, and appears to be walnut. There is a very small 1-2 inch crack from top and bottom tang, but crack is so narrow, can't begin to get a finger nail in it.

Gun is in working condition, but inside of barrel is rough so it doesn't shoot very straight.

That's the best I can do for now. Any info you can give me from that would be appreciated.
  5. johninohio

johninohio New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. The rifle I have is similar to the new model, but there are some obvious differences. Sights are fixed, and forarm appears to be a little smaller. There is a brass diamond (no initials) on one side of the stock near the grip. Barrel is part octagon, up to end of forarm, and round from there to muzzle. Writing is as follows:
    On bottom tang: D 839
    On top of barrel in front of receiver: J. STEVENS A & T CO.
    CHEOPEE FALLS MASS USA PAT APR 1794

On left side of barrel: 22-LONG RIFLE

Stock is in reasonably good condition, and appears to be walnut. There is a very small 1-2 inch crack from top and bottom tang, but crack is so narrow, can't begin to get a finger nail in it.

Gun is in working condition, but inside of barrel is rough so it doesn't shoot very straight.

That's the best I can do for now. Any info you can give me from that would be appreciated.
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi John....

First, the patent date is APR 17, '94 (April 17, 1894) and yours us a Stevens Favorite Model 1894.

Here's some info on the various Stevens "Favorites":

http://www.geocities.com/c-thunderer/STEVENSRIFLES.html

http://www.wisnersinc.com/exploded_views/Stevens_Favorite_parts.htm

Over a million of the various models of the "Favorite" were made between 1893 to 1939, so they don't have a high collector value.

The Standard Catalog of Firearms values them at:

Exc. - $450
    V.G. - $300
    Good - $250
    Fair - $175
    Poor - $125
  7. critter1958

critter1958 New Member

I have just gotten this rolling block #0348 when my dad passed away. I also got a Hopkins& Allen single in 12 gauge and a model97 pump shotgun with outside hammer. If anybody knows something about the guns, please contact me at Critter1958@bellsouth.net.

thanks
  8. thmuseum

thmuseum New Member

XRacer - We are a museum with a "J. Stevens A & T Co. Chicopee Falls Mass. 22 Long Rifle" stamped "677" under the trigger guard. I've attached a photo. Wondering what you might be able to tell us about this rifle. Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. C.Betts

C.Betts New Member

Can anyone tell me where or how to get parts for this Gun?
  10. C.Betts

C.Betts New Member

I have the same gun with the SN 362
  11. PetahW

PetahW New Member

The Museum rifle pictured appears to be an early Stevens Favorite No.27, due to the lack of a schnobble/knob at the forward end of the forend tip - as illustrated in the Stevens 1929 Catalog (# 57).

It appears to have had the plain takedown screw replaced with one that incorporates a sling loop - possibly for position target shooting at one time.

BTW - Most of these early rifles & pistols have poor bores because they were shot a LOT - and they were shot mostly in the days before non-corrosive priming.

Numrich and Bob's both list parts:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=089ZzFAVORITE 27&MC=

http://www.gun-parts.com/savagerifle/

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  12. Cason Capps

Cason Capps New Member

I also have this favorite #27 and would like to see a drawing of where parts go !!
    Thanks
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  13. Austin

Austin New Member

I have a J. Stevens 32 Long with the same patent date. There is a '223' stamped under the lever action. Is this the serial number? How do I find a model number and mfg date?
  14. MarkB

MarkB New Member

I have one of these rifles could anyone tell me anthing about it.
    22 long rifle
    B 788

Attached Files:

15. Leon

Leon New Member

Just bought at auction 22 Sprinfield model 84-c. It has no serial # I could find but is stamped N 2. What will this letter number combination tell me about this gun. Thanks, Leon