J Stevens A & T Co .22 Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by HardtR450, Dec 21, 2008.

1. HardtR450

HardtR450 New Member

The barrel is approximately 6" long, has serial # of 17049. Single shot, the barrell has no rust at all still in great shape. There is no trigger guard, the trigger is flat. The handle is walnut and also in great shape. The only problem with the gun is when you cock it the hammer does not stay back unless you press the trigger forward.

Any information would be great, I found this gun in my mothers house after she had passed away.
  2. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Welcome to TFF HardtR450,

Stevens did manufacture a single shot pistol which carried the name "J Stevens A&T Co." on the barrel. These guns were manufactured between 1886 and 1896, during which time 10,000 were made. The pistols were chambered in .22 or .30 rimfire, and were loaded by pivoting the 3.5" barrel upward. They were intended as a pocket pistol and did not have a trigger guard. The frames are plated brass and they had either a blued or nickel-plated barrel. The square-butt grips were made of walnut.

If this describes your piece, the values are approx as follows:

Exc = $450
    VG= 300
    Good=225
    Fair=175

The trigger problem may be corrected with a simple cleaning and oiling. Worse case; you may need a spring replaced. Since replacement parts are not available, a gunsmith will have to make one from scratch or find a similar spring to modify.

Stevens guns are collectable and it appears you have an early example. As such, treat it with care.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  3. HardtR450

HardtR450 New Member

Contendrizer

Thank you very much for helping me out, you wouldnt by chance know where I could get a nice case I could put this in to put on the wall or desk would you.
  4. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Not off-hand, but others might. Keep checking back.
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Go to a hobby/craft store and buy a shadow box with a glass front. This will make a beautifull display on your wall.